156 jts service on mornington peninsula

Started by t-rev, May 30, 2013, 04:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-rev

Hi,i'v recently purchased a 2006 156 in great nik,and after being a falcon driver for nearly 3 decades[getn' old!],this machine is so much fun to drive! Anyway,i would really like to keep on top of matenance and would like to find someone on this end of the peninsula that can do a 80k service and cambelt changes etc. I'v rang a few places in mornington and got mixed responses.I'v heard that the jts can be a "can of worms",and i would like to keep it running as well as it is now.It would be great to hear any responses.

Paul Gulliver

With Peninsula Link & East Link it is only 3 sets of traffic lights to Monza Motors in Bayswater. You can nearly do it without a clutch ask me???

If you really want someone local and out off left field try Rod Smith Racing in Rye . They do all the support work for the Porsche 944 challenge series . He also works on most European cars.

http://www.rodsmithracing.com/contactuslinks.htm

Gully

Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

t-rev

Thanks for you"re reply!That new peninsula link is a nice road,especially that bit around mt martha where it gets a bit curvy,maybe to many speed camera's!3 sets of traffic lights dosn't sound to bad at all,i can totally relate to negotiating lights with car problems!

Paul Gulliver

Quotemaybe to many speed camera's!

You only have to worry about 3 on Peninsula link on the way up to Melbourne. Just remember M E S  Mornington Tyabb Rd,Eramosa Rd  & Skye Rd. On the way down to the Peninsula it is even easier to remember  the camera's are on East Link, As soon as you see the "Big bird" sculpture on the left side of the Rd in Dandenong . The camera is under the next bridge. Then  on Peninsula Link the "Big Rams Head" before  Skye Rd .Camera under the next Bridge ( Skye Rd). Very thoughtful of Vic Roads to put some " Artie waste of money' on the side of the Rd to signal Speed Camera approaching. Just a pity they can't move that stupid model Hotel to a speed camera location.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

colcol

The 3 Service providers that most of the Alfa Club uses are Mauceri Motors in Clayton, Monza Motors in Bayswater and Marranello Pursang Motors in Brunswick.
For regular services you should only have to take it there every 6 months for an oil change and check over, some of the non Alfa places don't know these cars and to cover their lack of knowledge describe them as 'used food', don't waste your time with these places, just take it to someone that works on Alfa's all the time, they need to have an Alfa Diagnostic computer connected up to them to read any computer code faults.
Some of the things to watch out on a JTS include, the plastic water pipe at the front of the engine is prone to leaking, knocks and bumps in the front suspension, upper control arms then anti roll bar bushes and links and lower control arms in that order.
The engines have to have the cam belt changed every 3 years or 50,000 klms or whatever comes first and every second cam belt change, do the water pump as well.
The oil used in the JTS is 10-60 fully synthetic racing oil, from your favourite oil manufacturer, Alfa Romeo reccomends Selenia 10-60, the JTS enjoys a drink of oil, so check the oil level every week, if you do a lot of city driving, change the oil more often, as it becomes diluted with rubbish not being burned off in the combustion process and then the oil lacks proper lubrication properties and can ruin camshafts.
The JTS is very easy on fuel, i have got 827 kilometres on a 63 litre tank of premium 98, see how you go, i get 700 kays to the tank going to work and back.
Join the Alfa club and come along and do some activities, we have a Sunday run in about 3 weeks, come along, so that my JTS won't get lonely, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

t-rev

Sounds great!that info is really good thanks guy's.Over a two week period of driving from arthurs seat to mornington and back iv been averaging about 9.5/100 km but i think that might come down a bit as i get used to the 5 speed.Thanks for the info on oil checking!,it's a bit different than my old 93 falcon[commi'n up to 10k on one can of "radiator stop leak"]i have to watch myself in this car,it dosn't take much to take the rev's up send yourself way over the speed limit!

colcol

In the twin sparks and JTS's, if you run them low on oil, and the oil light comes up, then you have just done a bearing, when the JTS engine came out it used the same oil as the twin spark, that is 10-40, and the oil consumption was high, so to cut back oil consumption, Alfa specified 10-60 viscosity engine oil, Volkswagons, Audi's, Holden's etc with direct injection all drink a bit more oil, its just the design of the direct injection engine, not a fault on Alfa Romeo's design.
These engines eat thermostats as well, they stick open and the engine runs too cold and uses too much fuel, it should take about 5 kays to warm up, and if it drops back on the freeway and then goes up to 90c in traffic, you have a faulty stat, mine has done 115,000kays and its on to its 3rd stat!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

t-rev

i might need a new stat,only sits on 83d going a bit higher sitt'n in traffic,dosn't reach 90.Can i change it myself?[not up to speed with modern electric's]Also would that oil10-60,be protective to  motor during cold starts because of it's ability to "stick"to components?

colcol

You can change it yourself, it sits on the end of the engine on the gearbox end, lots of pipes and hoses to undo, the brand to use is.... the genuine BEHR stopped working early on, then the non genuine BEHR also stopped working properly, then the Italian FACET, they are all as bad as each other, i put my old one and a new one in a saucepan and 'cooked' them both and the new one most surely did open a lot later,  i don't know if 10-60 oil sticks to components, sounds like Castrol Magnatec jargon, just make sure the oil level is up and the oil doesn't get contaminated, a good run on the freeway will burn any impurities out or driving it like you are a real Alfa driver, Colin.