Dyno Day Saturday 1st June!

Started by bix, May 27, 2013, 09:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeroGTV

Hmm,  my listing above is incorrect.  It lists the Kw not the actual Hp.  The GTV V6 should read 171HP.   The 127 figure refers to KW.
A great day nonetheless!!!  Thanks for organising it!

hmd

GTV2.0 with 158+ hp, impressive.

What's the config of that car?

Paul Gulliver

QuoteGTV2.0 with 158+ hp, impressive.

Hung ,

I was going to be happy to let that one stand to stand and  create an  urban myth. But I better fess up it was my car . Tragically not a Beninca dyno error but a "Bix" typo error should have been 108 not 158. Just as a matter of interest  that's down about 10 hp from the last time I was on their dyno ( 3 years ago) . I can't understand it the car is only lightly used on the odd Saturday or Sunday, usually on good roads like that nice new bit of bitumen down at Philip island . I will need to investigate.  ( PG;  GTV 2.0 on the Dyno report)

Gully

Bump. What I found interesting from the Dyno day was just how clean the exhaust was from a lot of the cars that do sprint days compared to a lot of the daily drivers that just showed up and jumped on the Dyno.  Nothing like a bit of quality time in the upper reaches of the rev range ( Italian tune up)  to clean up the exhaust and get the most from your car.
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

hmd

race car high rev range usually run leaner air fuel ratio.

p.s. Are you sure, you are not sand bagging?

Paul Gulliver

Quotep.s. Are you sure, you are not sand bagging?

I wish I was.
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Neil Choi

Paul, I too had wondered how you got 158 horses.

Though 108 isn't bad.  DV's 112 is very respectable.  We had fresh TS's awhile back and we got the 110-115 mark too. 

Paul Gulliver

Neil,

Its interesting , 3 years ago on the Beninca dyno the car was about 111 which I was a bit disappointed about. Beninca's said that a good twinnie should be about 120 rwhp. So I got some private time on their dyno a few weeks later and they got it back up to 119 rwhp. Now here's where they found the  extra ponnies .

1.Some numskull  (yours truly) had re trimmed the carpet in the car and didn't set the bump stop under the accelerator pedal correctly so I wasn't getting full throttle.

2. Fixing various small air leaks in the intake system.

So it might be worth another  visit after I get over a few other  car related maintenance issues.

Another highlight of the day was catching up with Dominic Beninca.  I  reminded him hadn't seen him since 1985 when his other brothers had him trapped in the boot of my then new Alfetta GTV searching for a leak.

Dominic used to work in the business but has been out on his own for a while . He mentioned that he has just opened his own Driving school  ( for first time drivers  18 yo . Not racing). So here's a free plug for that  new venture.

Dom would  be far to modest to mention his previous achievements which include amongst a lot of others 1998 Bathurst  1000 Rookie of the year. 1998 Aust GT Production Car Champion in a GT3 Porsche. (which I mentioned I would gladly swap a kidney or first born male heir ( sorry Tom) for ).

So if you have any teenage children who need driving  lessons I couldn't think of a finer teacher
Paul Gulliver
Present

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Neil Choi

Paul

I will freely offer my services to tune and find those missing bhp.  My diagnosis is that your engine is lacking regular lubrication ie oil and fuel.  So I will more than happy and provide my time free of charge to analyse your car on our rolling dyno.  Our service will be to run it at initial easy warm up pace, then moderately and finally at full throttle when you will see a gradual increase in performance, then repeat the process to double check, then handing it back for you to realise the gain in performance with your own analysis.

Our rolling dyno facility will be available on 6 July, I have booked you in.

Regards
Neil

hmd

Gully,

Was going to say who cares about the teenager learner. I just want Dom to teach me to drive on Neil's rolling road.

TFJ100

Hi all - a quick belated note to say thanks to Paul, John and Colin for organising the day with style and grace!

I managed to deposit my kids off on the way so was able to turn up and enjoy without cries of "when are we going home" and "I'm bored".

Special thanks to John for finding the camera bag I left behind and bringing it to my house the next day - talk about quality service!

Now, if only he could find my missing horses as well!

Torben
Now -
2018 Giulia QV, Vesuvio Grey

Then -
10 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - black
08 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - silver
10 159 1.7T 6 sp man - red
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red
80 Sud Ti - beige

Adam Farrelly

Thanks to those which organised the day . Since not being no longer being a club member I don't know your names but thanks . I was greeted by the friendly parking police man who I think I remember from my earlier days of competing in the AROCA club sprints , he would have been about the only face I recognised.  He politely asked me to position my rear wheel drive car in the long line of BMW's and other manufactures of true drivers vehicles .

Such a shame that with the total demise of Alfa having anything resembling the sports sedans and hot hatches of old , it looked to me that numbers of people at the annual dyno day with Alfa's was about half of what I remember ? At least there was a high percentage of classic 105's to see , including what I think was a original twin spark GTA .

Regarding calibration of the world class dyno at the Beninca's all the modified cars which I have had run there , including pre-event power runs just to see everything is ok normally show reading within 1-2rwhp there . My track car that has been run there so many times I cannot remember reads the same power in the same tune ever single time , since being turbo size limited it just won't make any more power . But it makes a whole lot more on some of the dyno's it has been to which just isn't possible ! Just goes to show you there are true engineer's like the Beninca's that built there dyno and would know it back to front , and there are those who just lease a pile of crap undynamic dyno and think there can operate it or get real accurate results.

The car which I had run is my partner's  E90 325i M Sport 2009 . One of the reasons of taking this car to the day is we both feel that this car is completely gutless in comparison to the last E90 325i 2005 which it replaced .  The 05 car was run at the last BMW club dyno day 2012 and had 157rwhp vs the 2009 cars 152rwhp . You might think that nobody can feel 5hp difference from the seat but add the automatics different (update) software wanting to always select a high gear for better economy , a bigger delay in the throttle to also add false economy by you just flooring it more IT IS GUTLESS . Now having real data and overlapping graphs of both cars I really wonder what bs the droog service advisers at BMW will say when returning it for yet another failure of the Italian Recaro seats !  Well at least it didn't catch fire this time ! German *cough* Italian quality will get you everytime...

Regards

Adam

colcol

That freindly parking policeman to which you refer cannot have been the same person that was there on the day, someone gave him a flouro jacket and he proceded to throw his [considerable] weight around, he was telling drivers where to park and not to park, at one stage he was even directing traffic along Sterling avenue, later on he wouldn't let people, who were doing a bit of shopping in Cantebury rd., that they couldn't park there, because its reserved for a car event, give someone a bit of authority and it goes to their head, someone should run him over, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig C

If the results are going to be published in Alleggerita or the mag I would find it really helpful to also have the torque listed for comparison.  One of my runs was a bit raggedy at high revs so I would be interested to compare the peak torque with similar cars rather than the peak hp which i assume will be down a bit for me.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

Meng

I needs more POWERRRRRR!!!!!!

Maybe after a midpipe and F360 tb goes in..... I'll be able to hit the 200hp mark  ;D
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

redsky

Torque figures would be interesting, and may better represent the drivabilty of the cars. I'm not sure if Paul has these, I know I only gave him hp on the day. The 75 TS made 155.7 Nm @ 4753, with a solid 140+Nm from 3600 - 5700. It made 142Nm @ peak power of 112hp @ 5613. It would be good to see how similar engines performed.

cheers Darren