159 1.9 Diesel Engine Problems

Started by anthonyc, April 12, 2013, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anthonyc

Help me with my expectations from Alfa Australia, or better still with advice on how to fix the current issue - a blocked Particulate Filter.

I have a 2008 model and the diesel has been a problem since new.  After 131,000 km  it needs a particulate sensor and the bill is $4800.  My local dealer, Motoworld, won't even off the part at a trade rate and I am livered. 

Motoworld bought the dealership off Zagame.  There is no carry over care expected from being an original owner.

When new the 'hesitation' was caused by the EGR valve blocking with soot.  The dealer was in communication with Alfa Australis Technical Support and they conducted several 'modifications' to the valve which after 3 goes did alleviate the problem.  Since then I have replaced the EGR and numerous glow lamps. 

Now the Particulate Filter has clogged and an attempt to "regenerate" the filter has failed on two occassions.

The dealer is not even offering a discounted part and are also quoting delivery ex Italy.

Please help sort out this situation.  Meanwhile I wait for the Dealer Principal to return my call.

Anthony.

colcol

Not an expert on this, so i will tell you what i know, the Particle Filter gets blocked up by low speed running and not getting hot enough, ie too much city driving, if the Particle Filter light comes on, then take it for a hard run along the freeway, so that the filter can get hot and burn off the soot, if you don't after a while the engine computer will go into limp mode and it will be back to the dealer for a clean up.
Also, you can get standard Diesel and Premium Diesel, if possible go for the premium diesel, as its cleaner, but there are only a few outlets that sell the premium diesel, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

Take Alfa to either Monza Motors (Bayswater), Maranello Pur Sang (Brunswick) or Mauceri Motors (Clayton), all club sponsors and club members, first two are life members, so no fear, they will look after you.