Gday all,

Started by Airfireman, March 25, 2013, 05:29:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Airfireman

Gday all,

My name is Tim and i am currently planning a trip to Italy and would like to use an Alfa Spider to tour around in.

I have no knowlege of Alfa's, and would like some help from the people on this forum, to recommend or assist with what would be best suited?? I do have mechanical knowlege.

Questions:
What Alfa convertible would be suitable, want a model/year that i would be able to resell after?? 60's 70's, 80's
Purchase in Italy/Europe??
Purchase from USA, ship to Europe ( i have a mate in Belguim shipping that could help here)??

Appreciate any help

Regards

Tim

Craig C

There are a number of companies that hire old spiders out. How long are you looking at, if a few weeks they might be a better option.  The era I have seen are from the 1970s.
2003 Spider
1984 GTV 2.0

Airfireman

Gday Craig,

Im looking at a month to 6 weeks, thats why i thought i would be cheaper to buy and sell.

A mate has sent me a link that i will look into

http://www.noleggiomototoscana.it/Default.aspx?lang=eng

Cheers

Tim

Davidm1600

I may be incorrect, but I am pretty sure I have read in the past that it can be extremely difficult to register and especially insure a car in your name if from overseas and only want it for a relatively short time.  Selling it afterwards might also become a real hassle too, unless you can leave it with someone to do that for you.

Having said that, I certainly have read various stories of guys from the US doing what you are suggesting, but I think that there may have had some help in getting it all sorted out.  Roland in Holland has been pretty helpful to various guys wishing to purchase Supers in the past, especially also in exporting them out of Europe.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Airfireman

Thanks David,

Yeah looking into it more it would probably be a better option of purchasing through Ebay europe somewhere and resell the same way, using a mate in Belgium.

I have looked at France lease cars Eurodrive because of the time i will be there, 6 weeks or so,,but being in Italy i would love to have an italian convertible car...Alfa Spider from the 70's or 80's would be nice.

I will PM Roland, cheers for the info

Tim