WTB Bilstein B6

Started by Craig_m67, March 23, 2013, 04:00:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craig_m67

I've put this here as people can't respond in the classifieds (I think?)

Where's the best place to buy some Bilstein B6 shocks for our Sportwagon, overseas ?

I don't want to lower the ride height in our car as its used for everything from camping to rubbish runs to the tip. indeed, if possible I'd like to firm up the back so can carry heavier loads.

If anybody has any suggestion/experience of other brands or combinations of spring, shock, coilover that will help, please let me know.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

TFJ100

When I was looking around at suspension, here is where I looked for Bilstein:

http://shop.alfisti.net/Tuning-Styling/Alfa-156/Suspensions:::1_15_16.html

I don't know if it is the cheapest. I haven't ordered before from Alfisti.net but I'm sure others have and can advise what you need to be aware of...some people have mentioned shipping outside of the EU can be difficult from this supplier.

Thanks
Torben
Now -
2018 Giulia QV, Vesuvio Grey

Then -
10 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - black
08 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - silver
10 159 1.7T 6 sp man - red
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red
80 Sud Ti - beige

L4OMEO

Hey Craig

I've used alfisti.net several times and found them reliable and good to deal with. Delivery times are about 3-weeks for bigger items like suspension. Also try Alfastumper (highly recommend them) although I don't think do Bilstein, but I'd suggest avoiding Gazella Racing as too many people have had bad experiences with them.

Any quality after-market shock will be a vast improvement on standard, even if you're sticking with standard springs. Bilstein and Koni Sport or FSD are the most popular upgrades.

As a left-field option, consider a coil-over set-up. I replaced my Eibach ProSystem with the Azzurro Z9 coil-over set-up from Alfastumper, which gives you adjustability over rebound and ride height. Mine's currently set to fractionally under standard ride height and both clearance and ride are fine for family-car duties (it's firm but controlled, and not crashy like you get with the standard shocks), while the handling is a big step up.

Welcome to have a drive when we catch up on my return.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

Craig_m67

Cheers Rory, they look pretty investing.

I was considering the (B16) coilovers, but really don't want any drop. The Z9 have a higher initial drop (20mm) which is higher than most.  How do they handle and how well are they built ?? I'm a buy once (not twice) person these days,  which is why I was thinking the Bilsteins.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

L4OMEO

From memory the Monza set-up in the 156 used Eibach Sport springs which lowered the car 10-15mm. The Eibach ProSystem was a 30-35mm drop out of the box, so the Z9s on the highest setting of 20mm isn't too bad (it's only 5mm for the GTA). You find that the extra control often mitigates the reduction in clearance - how many times have you smacked the nose as the car has pitched over a speed-bump? Has never happened to me with either the Eibachs or Z9s.

Quality of the Z9s is excellent - they're actually KW units made specifically to Zeatek's specification so they're anything but cheap and nasty. The guy who runs Alfastumper (Peter) is well-known in club circles in Europe and has a 3.0 156 set-up as a Nurburgring toy. He ran  KW coilovers on it for 5 years and when replacing them decided to spec his own, which he now markets under the Zeatek brand. Numerous guys in the ausalfa forum have them, all have been very happy.

How do they handle? It's very subjective, and I've been driving this set-up so long I can't remember how it compares with the standard car. I think a back-to-back drive is warranted huh  :D

Bilsteins are also an excellent option, will markedly improve how your car drives. They are also a much cheaper option on their own than coilovers.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

wankski

u might wanna read my bilstein swap story here...

basically at the time, i said if i were to do it again, for practicality i'd stay with std springs...

http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=8097.0

that said, my car is for w/e blasts and now i'm considering the coilies... from my investigations there is no way the zeatek or any other coilies will give you stock height. the are advertised for a pretty aggressive drop.

on the other hand, i installed these into my car a yr ago on my weekend ride that maybe has 4k kms on it... if you are interested the billie b6s could be up for sale if you are into second hand, and not in any rush. i paid 950AUD landed (with the springs)... i was thinking $550 sale complete with eibachs, or 450 without.

Davidm1600

Can't help out with Bilstein B6s but I bought a set of Bilstein B4s from EB Spares last year, but kept all other suspension stock standard in my 156 Sportwagon.  At a price of a bit over $400 landed in Aus, I found that hard to beat.  The difference between the original shocks and the B4s is pretty impressive for my usage, and I carry all sorts of stuff in the back of it, from camping gear to building materials.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina