Shitbox rally tyres

Started by GTVeloce, March 19, 2013, 11:52:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GTVeloce

Hi all

I am curious to know what size and type of tyre the Shitbox cars use? Also, how did they last? i.e. mileage Finally, cost?

Thanks

Sheldon McIntosh

On both the Giulietta and the Alfetta I used a standard gravel-type rally tyre, I can't remember the exact size, but they were either 195/60/15 or 185/65/15.  No problems with clearance on either car, and they were both running standard ride-height at the front, and maybe an inch higher at the rear. 

Cost was zilch, both years I had full sets kindly donated to me by Greg Wyatt, RedAlfaRacing on here.  From memory the first years set were all Dunlop, the second year they were Yokohama.  Both sets were tyres which were no longer any good for fast times on a gravel stage, and which Greg had been holding onto to use for any autocross or similar he might do.  They had plenty of tread left on them when I got them, but the sharp edges on the outsides of the tyres had been worn down, so they wouldn't grip in corners like a good rally tyre should do.

As regards mileage, the first years set I probably did 4000km on road, and 1000km off-road, I couldn't really determine any wear on them.  I believe they were a pretty hard compound tyre.  No punctures, but then again, neither did any of my mates on road tyres.

The second year, we probably did about 1500km on road, 2500km on gravel and sand.  Again, I couldn't really determine any significant wear, and again, I believe they were a harder compound.  No punctures, but interestingly, the Two Amigos team, who were running a full set of Kumho rally tyres which they'd got free from Stuckey (and again were a second hand set which were no good for competitive rally anymore), had two punctures on the Kumhos.  Both times when the rally tyres punctured it was difficult for them to tell they were punctured, as the sidewalls are so stiff on rally tyres.

I've taken over Stu's car for this year, and the rally tyres he used last year are looking a bit tired.  But then again, they did the entire rally, and then the drive back from Cairns to Melbourne.  I think they'll be fine for this years rally, but the tread-blocks on the outside edge are looking a bit chewed-up.

I believe rally tyres when bought new are around $200 each, depending on brand obviously, as well as the compound.

Hope that helps.