3.0 24V into Alfa 75

Started by Alfamania, March 15, 2013, 04:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aggie57

Quote from: Alfamania on April 13, 2013, 08:28:31 AM
Ok so this is the way I see it:

Consider the 12V completely removed. I want to put a complete 24V in an Alfa 75:

Can I use 12V or 24V engine mounts for 24v to fit?
Do I need to do anything to 24v Sump to fit in Alfa 75 engine bay? or straight in?
Does the transaxle assembly fit straight on to 24V or do I need to use bits from the 12V?
I know I have to change the location of the plennum intake on the 24v so it fits from the side
Can I use the headers from the 24V and weld onto Alfa 75 exhaust? Will have to remove 12V headers
Why do I have to remove p.steer, air con alternator etc from the 24V? This stuff is already bolted onto the engine and seems there should be room anyway, is that right?

Thanks

The reason most of that stuff needs to change is because the engine you are staring with is packaged for an east west installation. You're putting it into a north south chassis.

If you have time it's really helpful to pull the 12valve and put it on the floor next to the 24v before you pull anything off either. That way the changes are obvious.

Someone else mentioned searching the alfabb for threads. Just search "alfabb 24v" from google and you'll get lots of hits on great threads about all this.

But don't let anything we say put you off. This is a great conversion, lots of people have done it and many of them have or are willing to share their experiences.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

scott.venables

Can I use 12V or 24V engine mounts for 24v to fit?

You can use the RWD engine mounts.

Do I need to do anything to 24v Sump to fit in Alfa 75 engine bay? or straight in?

Did you see my reply further up the page? In short, you can't use the 24v sump, so you use a RWD one.  How much modification that needs depends on which which 24v you have.

Does the transaxle assembly fit straight on to 24V or do I need to use bits from the 12V?

You can use the RWD extension housing on the back of the block with whatever tail shaft your car had before.  You will need to fit a 4mm spacer between the flywheel and the crankshaft.

I know I have to change the location of the plennum intake on the 24v so it fits from the side

Yes, the throttle body on the 24v is rear facing on the right hand side and needs to be moved. 

Can I use the headers from the 24V and weld onto Alfa 75 exhaust? Will have to remove 12V headers

24v headers won't fit without serious modification.  You could cut the tubes off the flanges and make your own extractors. 24v and 12v flanges are different and not interchangeable.

Why do I have to remove p.steer, air con alternator etc from the 24V? This stuff is already bolted
onto the engine and seems there should be room anyway, is that right?

The PS pump does clear and is in the same spot as on the 12v. The alternator and AC compressor on the 12v mounts to the sump so if you were using the same mounts you would need to sort that out.

One other thing you might need to consider is the oil filter.  I think at least some of the 24v oil filters screw onto a post that is part of a housing that is bolted to the block. There isn't room for this extra housing in the RWD setup so some blocks need to be tapped to take an oil filter post. There are pictures of this on the alfagtv6 forum

There are many, many threads on alfagtv6.com/bb with pictures. Some threads on alfabb.com too.

Scott