New requirements to ROPS padding

Started by Neil Choi, March 03, 2013, 05:59:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil Choi

Just need to highlight and remind all competitors of the new requirement of ROPS padding.

Requirement has been in place for over 12 months so now it is time to reinforce.

Basically, a new padding material is required, which complies with FIA standard 8857-2001 (International events) or SFI specification 45.1 (National, State or club sprint events).

Refer to the following link for further clarification.

http://www.cams.com.au/en/Sport/~/media/Files/Sport/Bulletins/2013%20Bulletins/B13-013%20Schedule%20J-%20Safety%20Cage%20Structures.ashx

Any questions, please ask.

Evan Bottcher

Will this be enforced at AROCA club super sprint events?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Neil Choi

Consulting with CAMS and our chief scrutineer, new ROPS padding material will be required and will be enforced as of next sprint event.  Regulation has been in place for over 12 months.

The justification is that the new material is of an energy absorbing nature as opposed to the old spongy type.  The new material appears hard and solid but on impact it will absorb the force and collapse thus protecting the head. 

It is not expensive and takes no more than 10-15 minutes to install.

In any case, any speed impact is an impact whether you are sprinting or racing, there is no discrimination.  So think about it.

In addition, one should also think about a HANS device.

Nick Wilson

Neil, i've been reading through the 2013 CAMS manual and technical bulletins updating Schedule J.

Could you please clarify - this ROPS padding is only required on areas of the safety structure that would potentially come in to contact with the helmet?

Previously: '90 907.A1C 33 16V (Red)

Meng

does this requirement also apply to roadworthy cars, or only cars with roll-cages? (apologies for the stupid question)
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

Evan Bottcher

The padding is for roll-cages only.  Nor required for cars without roll-cages (whether roadworthy or not).
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Neil Choi

Meng

Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6

Neil Choi

Schedule J – Protective Padding Moratorium

You now got until 30 June 2013.

"CAMS will use this time to review and re evaluate the requirement for protective padding in National level competition and below."

Neil Choi

The implementation date has now be push back to Jan 1 2014.

Neil Choi

Update from CAMS newsletter.

TECHNICAL NEWS PROTECTIVE PADDING UPDATE

Protective padding expectations with regard to Schedule J, Article 11.
Following a review and renewed implementation of protective padding in vehicles, CAMS has produced this
information paper to assist members.
From 1 January 2014, all vehicles in Competition at National level and below will need to have as a minimum, padding
complying with SFI 45.1 or 45.2 specification.
If you wish to compete at an International level you will need FIA standard 8857-2001.
If you are required to have a safety cage as per Article 3 of Schedule J, then you will be required to have protective padding fitted.
If you don't wear a helmet and aren't required to wear a helmet in your chosen Competition, then you don't need to have protective padding.
Protective padding is to be fitted as per the manufacturer's recommendations. It is not mandatory that the connection method be flame retardant/proof.
You will see from the image, the approved version of padding is distinctly different from that of the older 'pool noodle' type.
Approved safety cage padding, FIA 8857-2001 and SFI 45.1, will come with the standard etched or embossed into it as this is a requirement in meeting the standard.
The safety cage diagram (right) is to be used as guide only, to the CAMS expectations of where padding should and could be located depending on individual circumstances. obviously every vehicle and every occupant is going to be different in how and where the occupant/s are positioned and so reasonable judgement will need to be exercised.
In the majority of Type 3 Full Safety Cage's, CAMS expects that the area shaded in red would be the most common area for padding.
The area shaded green will depend primarily on the type of seat that is being used. Consideration should be given to, does the seat have a head rest and does it incorporate side wings.
For a Type 2 half Cage the above two points shall be applied where applicable safety cage members are present.
The yellow shaded area will require individual consideration of the seating position of driver/occupant.
Should you have any further questions and/or are still unsure, please contact the CAMS Technical Team on 03 9593 7777 to speak to us.
Alternatively you could email images of your safety cage for guidance to technical@cams.com.au

Evan Bottcher

It's unfortunate that these instructions are not written more plainly.  In particular the section:

QuoteIf you are required to have a safety cage as per Article 3 of Schedule J, then you will be required to have protective padding fitted.

I feel this is open to interpretation - Article 3 of Schedule J does not require my car to have a safety cage fitted, nor do our supp regs.  I choose to have a safety cage, so I think this means I'm not required to have ANY protective padding fitted.

Clearly that's not the intent, so I'll have to buy some SFI padding - I assume this applies to all cars with cages at our club sprints from Jan 1 2014.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV

Neil Choi

As of Jan 1 2014, all ROPS protective padding must comply with SFI 45.1 or 45.2 specification.

At sprint meeting as well as race meetings, scrutineers are now instructed to inspect such compliance.

You have been warned.