Alfa 75 2.5 V6 vs. Alfa 33 1.7 16V

Started by cranberry, February 23, 2013, 09:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hammer

Cranberry,

I've had a 75 3.0, 75 Twinspark and now a 156 ti as daily transport. There is no doubt the 156 is a beautifully sculptured piece of machinery but if I could find a mint condition 75 Twinspark I'd swap it for the 156 any day of the week. The air con wasn't great, there are no cup holders in either car but the 75 is a real joy to drive.

The real point scorer for the 156 though is that it is a much newer car and likely to present less overall wear issues. But if you sort out any problems in the 75 right off the bat, with a reputable Alfa mechanic, then maintain it with Alfa mechanic servicing every 5000ks it will be a reliable machine.

Good luck with the purchase.

Brent

scott.venables

My 75 has been a daily driver for the last 6 years, although not really daily driving in the last year.  I love this car.  It really is a pleasure to drive and own.  It hasn't been completely without it's mechanical maladies, but not much springs to mind except a clutch master cyl, a heater tap and, an ignition module. Admittedly, it was pretty good when I started driving it 6 years ago.  There are probably a few other things that spring to mind but for 6 years that's still pretty good.

I can't say a 75 would be more or less reliable than a 33, and I haven't driven a 33 but the 75 is a real pleasure.  You need to drive one!

Scott

cranberry

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have driven a few 75's in my time. All of them 2.5's. I like them a lot. Some felt bad, some felt good. It all boils down to how well they have been maintained. I'm hesitant because I know first hand how an oldish Alfa can let you down when you need it the most. Here's the one I'm considering:

http://m.gumtree.com.au/alfa-romeo-1989-75-2-5-litre-v6-good-condition/v?adId=1014659524#Alfa

Any thoughts?

aggie57

We ran a 75 Auto for a few years back in the nineties. Good car. Three speed was a weakness and final drive is high. Leads to poor fuel economy around town. Ok on the highway but tank is small so range is not great. Interesting that they had LSD's as well. Easy to spin....and as MD says they are actually a lot of fun when driven with spirit.  I used to change manually quite a lot around town which reminds me that even as an auto Alfa set the change up to be easy to swap gears quickly.

Overall an underrated model. $1300 sounds like a bargain.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Alfapride

I've driven both cars and owned a 16v for 6 years, the 33 will definitely be a 'sportier' drive, the engine likes to be revved and sounds lovely. look for stress cracks in the chassis - can be a common fault on this model but easily fixed. the gearbox is a slightly quicker shift compared to the transaxle series. The 75 will be a more comfortable ride, the suspension is a little softer and seats a little thicker making a drive on harsher roads more bearable. Even though the 33 is a front wheel drive, the suspension set up is great and its a real performer for handling. Overall servicing costs i would think the 33 would be cheaper as the suspension set up is less complicated the main expense is timing belt changes on both models. The 75 will obviously have a little more torque and room - but I tend to agree with Col, they are different cars and if the price is right get both and enjoy them for different purposes but if i had to pick one I'd go the 33.
Alfa 33 16v
Alfa 116 Giulietta
Alfa 116 Alfetta GTV
Alfa MY2004 147 TI
Alfa MY19 Giulia Veloce