3.0 build - starting from scratch

Started by martym00se72, February 12, 2013, 12:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scott.venables

The flywheel looks great.  Very light, standard weighs a 10.1kg if I remember correctly, and I'm guessing that one is around 7-7.5kg?  It might take some getting used to! 

Scott

martym00se72

Thanks Scott, I weighed it last night - 7.8kg including bolts but the scale only weighs in 200gm increments so not entirely accurate, but it should make a difference :)

Thanks Tim, looked at the link (like most on here I suspect, I had read Greg's pages before) and it is not the NOX device as it has come off the 164 engine heads (post NOX device era) not the thermostat housing. It does seem to fit at the back of the head near #6 cylinder but does not screw in all the way - so I have made a plug to fill that hole. I have inspected the 2.5 and cannot see a similar sensor so it is currently considered redundant for my purposes unless anyone can identify it?

Anyone got thoughts on the intake runner gaskets?

Also, thoughts turning to the cosmetic... coating for the plenum and valve covers or just back to cleaned and clear coated aluminium? The smooth covers or the ones with the raised "fins"? I am thinking black with aluminium highlights. All hoses etc are black so plan on keeping it black and silver throughout... Feel free to share engine bay photos :D
Cheers
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

TimD

Then I have no idea... Might be part of the Motronic fuel injection then?

What is the problem with the new intake gasket? Is it just that it is thinner?

four90s

Hey Marty,

That little sender is for the oil pressure idiot light, present on all the sedans (90, 75, 164) but not on the GTV6s.

Use the the big one piece cam cover gasket if you have it. Holds together better than the other style.

Looking good, by the way.

Cheers
Steve
Adelaide.
Four90s
Too many others to list
(33 Alfas and some other things since 1979)

scott.venables

I should clarify the 10.1kg is without bolts. 

I like the smooth GTV6 covers painted with black wrinkle and with the script rubbed back and matching plenum.

I did mine in red wrinkle but I think I might do black next time

martym00se72

I bought some black wrinkle paint and have cleaned up the 'finned' covers ready for spraying this weekend. Depending on how much paint I have left, I might do the smooth ones too so I can see which I like more. It is all coming together now; I'm getting excited :)

I am also toying with the idea of leaving the cam belt covers off - anyone done that? How do you keep your leads etc out of the road?

TimD

I have no cam covers, a bolt was sheared off in the head when I got the car and it came with no covers. The leads are just zip tied to the fuel hose. It looks pretty cool, but if I had the choice I would run the covers. It gets a little hairy bleeding the coolant or setting the timing with the cam sprockets threatening to pull your spanner (or finger) into the belt.

aggie57

Quote from: TimD on July 30, 2013, 02:11:11 PM
I have no cam covers, a bolt was sheared off in the head when I got the car and it came with no covers. The leads are just zip tied to the fuel hose. It looks pretty cool, but if I had the choice I would run the covers. It gets a little hairy bleeding the coolant or setting the timing with the cam sprockets threatening to pull your spanner (or finger) into the belt.

You mean you have no cam belt covers surely?!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

TimD

Storm_X

No cam cover looks ruffer anyway. Well it does on a rb26 or 2jz.

What's with the wrinkle paint ? No one likes a nice gloss finish ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

martym00se72

I dunno actually - I did consider gloss but then figured it would show grot and grime and mark up too - i figure on the wrinkle finish being a bit more forgiving. The only thing I am concerned about in painting it is that the bonnet felt rubs the plenum when closed so if painted may rub the paint off over time - is there any reason for the felt (other than to add weight  :P) - heat insulation? Can I just remove it?

Storm_X

It's heat insulation . My car has it at the moment but you can get away with it .
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

martym00se72

Crinkle paint went on over the weekend. When it went on the wet gloss look was actually pretty good. But now that it has dried and it has crinkled - really liking the look. Going to look awesome on the engine  8)

martym00se72

Engine went back in last night  ;D ;D

Just plonked the cam covers and plenum on to get an idea of how it looks  8)

Engine bay is the cleanest it has been in quite some time - only problem is that the only paint code that I could get a rattle can made up for is the wrong one :( They were able to make AR762 but knew nothing of AR767 - as I understand it, silver 83 GTV6's could have had either and all paint decals are no longer presnt on my car so guess work was required - I suppose my car is AR767 by process of elimination.

Any hints on getting the splined joint at the front of the drive shaft to engage? Came out easy enough but didn't want to go back in at 11:20 last night...

Nate Dog