alfetta outer sill removal ..

Started by njud, August 15, 2013, 12:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njud

Hi.

just wondering if any body out there was able to assist in the above on an sedan, can pay good hourly rate or copious beer.
outer sills are okay, was planning on stripping and prime for storage. Mostly want access into inner's

Alternativly if anyone has photos of process, these would also be great.

in northern sub. of melb..
Many thanks

Nick.j

Cool Jesus

Nick can you be a bit more specific. Maybe a photo with the area highlighted. Many can interpret a sill in many areas of the car body.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

njud

hi again

yip i can be a bit vague sometimes. sorry folks.
  Im talking about the sills running from f/rear wheel arches under the doors. so trying to get to treat inner sills for surface rust, before off to panel beaters january'ish.

I'm trying to have this done at home in garage. then trim removal, and onto chemical paint strip.

If anyone with exp. would be willing to help will pay well...

THanks again

Nick.j

Cool Jesus

I figured that may have been the area you were speaking of. I've got my alfetta stripped down at the body shop. Will have a closer look for you tomorrow unless some one pipes in sooner. From memory, I think there may be a plug of sorts at each end? The sedan should be similar in body shell manufacturing to the coupe...
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Beatle

???  Alfetta sills are basically hollow with very little in the way of internal structure.  If yours are good and you simply want to get inside to apply rustproofing, either prise the seams apart along the lower edges (e.g. open up the drain gaps) or drill holes and plug them when done.  If you are drilling holes I'd recommend a step-drilll as it cuts a much neater and burr free hole.  There are also some holes formed into the sills (seatbelt bolt holes, small breather slits etc).

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/car-restoration/14822-alfetta-sill-cut.html

I wouldn't apply any rustproofing though if you intend using a chemical stripper (....shudder....).  The waxy products will probably seal off the stripper rendering it ineffective.

The area you truly need to concentrate on for rust is the A-pillar and down the firewall.
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

njud

Thanks folks,
have removed carpets and have now access to factory holes for good access. Removed headling (way easier than expected).
been over your bb posts and is amazing resource. Ordered an steel sprayer, and will use irrigation hose from round the garden.
Will pay attention to the A pillar as well, once sprayed will probably seal cavity wax. Alfetta will probably never see rain again, but peace of mind is wonderful thing.
Just have to wait a little longer for warmer weather.

Fun and games
thanks again

Nick