Car Valuer Required

Started by 33racer, January 30, 2013, 06:54:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

33racer

Hi Guys

I am after a professional car valuer that is located in the south east Queensland region or Tweed region of NSW. I am after this for insurance reason as my 1991 Alfa 33 QV 16v has just recently gotten rear ended and was quoted $2800 to fix the car, however the other guys insurance company is only valuing the car at $2500 so that they only need to pay $2300. I am not after making money just want to get the damaged he caused fixed as i know this car is worth more that what they valued (even just from insurance quotes where they same market value of this car is $4400, but they say this wont suffice) as it has a has really low kilometers, a brand new motor, new cvs, good interior no rips or anything as well as full leather interior, (never seen leather on another 33 yet) and the only real damage to the car is what he caused to the car. So need a profession car valuer to  prove that it is worth more than their quote. Any help will be much appreciated.

Regards
Steve

Cool Jesus

Sorry Steve, I posted a reply to this earlier. Seems to have disappeared  :-\

Anyway, Are you comprehensively insured? You mention an insurance value of $4400 for your 33, and if this is the case, way bother chasing the other party's insurance. That's why you pay premiums, submit a claim under your insurance and let tham chase the other party for the money.

If above is in the negative, hmmm, not sure a valuer will be of much use to you at the moment. I can imagine that they would all say that a proper evaluation will be affected by the now damaged vehicle. You will also have an added cost for the evaluation. You could engage a debt collection agency, that will again cost you as they work on a minimum fee (~$300) or 10% of recovery amount whichever is higher.

When it comes down to it, you have suffered a loss, which you can show is valued at $2800. Demand that this debt be paid from the other driver (in the first instance), they caused the loss. If they submit an insurance claim, they can pass your details and invoice on for payment. If your at this stage, there's no negotiating as to vehicle worth? They either pay the loss or you seek a small claims debt at the local court, advise them (the insurance company) in writting that you will do this and will also seek further costs associated with the recovery of the debt. Of course, never be rude in your dealings and always be willing and negotiable. Give them 2 or 3 oppoertunities (in writing) to settle the loss before threatening legal action.

They will either try to call your bluff and say 'see you at court' or make an offer. Up to you whether to take the offer as settlement or not. To run a small claim isn't difficult. You need an independant damage assessor, to assess the loss (Cost of repairs). Pay him his fee (<$200) and keep that invoice for court. Go to court, submit relevant small claims paperwork. Again some further costs as far as summonses, service of documents etc (<$100). Insurance will receive court documents and either make settlement offer at this stage or defend at court. If you do manage to go as far as a hearing, take along the copies of letters of demand you sent them (hopefully with express post receipts), independant loss assessment report and invoices, photos of your awesome ride pre and post damage. Police reports not entirely necessary, especially if you get in writing that they acknowledge the debt somehow. After all this, considering your scenario, you seek costs at the end as you can show you attempted to settle the matter outside of court and advised them that costs would be sought. When you win judgement for having to go to this length to recover your loss (ie they pay assessor, postage, court costs) and you get $2800 (or whatever was assessed).

If throughout this process you get an offer, weigh it up as to whther or not to go this far ???
Make sure that they don't go and write the car off on you too...
If settlement is lower than $2800, write off the loss as maintenance or negotiate with the repairer to be nicer. Their alternative is you walk out and find another repair...
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

Evan Bottcher

Cool Jesus, your post didn't disappear. The OP posted twice - once in General and once in Queensland. You've now replied to both.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Cool Jesus

Aha, thought I was going mad. This second one is probably more apt to Steve's situation anyways  :P
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

33racer

haha thanks for the information though.