planning to buy 2006 159 JTS 2.2

Started by Lems, January 21, 2014, 03:37:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lems

Hi Alfa owners,

I am looking to purchase an 06 159 JTS manual and would like to hear from previous & current owners on the reliability side of things and if they had any issues (whether it be major or minor),
I love the look of the 159 and would love the Ti version but my budget does not permit. Did the 06 have the issue of air trapped inside the fuel tank and not allowing it to fill up to max?
does the timing chain need to be replaced every 3 years as well like the belt in the diesel models?
can someone direct me to the service schedule for this model.

Coming from a Japanese import sports car, i've always loved the 159 and now time (& money) has allowed to me to purchase one which i am very exicted about!

are there any reputable alfa mechanics (or any euro mechanic will be fine) in the Parramata/Ryde areas?

any feedback, comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

colcol

The 159 JTS has a timing chain that has been known to stretch, and the timing goes out and you loose performance and it gets so far out it trips a cam position sensor, that causes it to go into limp mode and then its to an Alfa Romeo Service provider for a new chain.
There is no scheduled time or distance as to when you change the chain, just when it stretches, on a belt drive timing setup, every time you change the belts, your timing is right again and the belts are easier to change than a chain, but a chain drive will always outlast a belt drive, the petrol 156's and 147's in 4 cylinder cam belts had to be changed every 3 years, the V-6 Busso and Diesels were 5 years or so.
The 159 series 1 had General Motors based petrol motors, the 2.2 JTS went in Vauxhalls, Saabs and Opels and the V-6 was built at Fishermans Bend in Victoria.
The series 2 159 were lighter and had the seats sesigned for more room and they had Italian petrol motors, 1750 turbo and the diesel engines built in Italy, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

Hi Lems,
We've owned our 2007 JTS Sportwagon for 3 years and hasn't missed a beat (apart from the wife backing it into a pole on the second day of ownership - [me]: didn't you hear the reverse sensor beep indicating there was something behind you? [wife] yes but I didn't think there was anything behind me...).
Timing chain has never been replaced but I do replace the oil every 6 months - and can I say I wish all cars had a paper oil filter accessible from the top part of the motor - it's so easy to change.
The car is great on long-haul highway trips but is quite a heavy car and won't win Bathurst anytime soon. The wife complains about the 6 speed manual not being a very slick gearbox (unlike the 156) but overall we are very happy with it.

colcol

Obviously Mr. Bix's wife doesn't read the forum!, but we also forgot to say that the 159 is one of the most gorgeous cars around, it took styling cues from the 156 and updated it, looks great from any angle, cannot be confused with anything else.
On one of the Alfa Romeo Technical nights at Zagames, one of the 159 things, is that if you clobber a pot hole or curb, then the subframe will move and cause the wheel alignment to go out, if you take it to a wheel alignment place, then they will align it but, the car will be 'crabbing and going down the road sideways, like an old car that had been pranged and not fixed properly, you have to take it to a Dealer and have the subframe realigned to the body, also any work on the underneath of the car requires removal of about 30 screws to remove the undertray, and 156 owners moan having to remove nine??, this adds a bit of time and cost to a service, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

Thanks Col. We're happy to report that our car has never been "crabbing sideways" but let me tell you the wife tries clobbering the car wherever possible. Over pot holes, over speed-humps - you name it - she goes flat-out! I've just had new tyres put on the car and the old ones wore perfectly without any edge-scuff or uneven wear at all.

Meng

i think you'll find the 2.2 a little under-powered for a heavy car.  i had one and wished there was a little something extra for overtaking on long highways.  you get most of the pull at 5000rpm+. have you considered the 2.4jtdm? if i were to buy a 159 again, it would either be the 2.4jtdm or the v6 q4.
Alfa Romeo 156 GTA 3.2 V6