33 Central Locking issue. Locks the unlocks...

Started by Andiroid, January 20, 2013, 08:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andiroid

Hi all,
A couple of months back my drivers side electric window died a horrible death on my '91 33 16v. I have replaced the whole thing and it works fine. My only problem is, my doors won't lock now?!?! I turn the key and they all lock, but then unlock as soon as the key is taken out!

Is there anyone who can give me a clue as to what might be going on?

The only thing of difference is my old window had a metal motor and the replacement that came from a '92 33 had a plastic covered motor.that is he only thing that is different.

Help!

Andrew
2013 Giulietta Distinctive Sportiva, 2004 147 Twin Spark 3dr

colcol

Take the door trim off and see if there is anything fouling on the central locking mechanism, also check that the wires have not shorted out on something, and check where the wires go thru the plastic guide between the A pillar and door, they can short out there, and with the constant opening and closing of the door, the wires can break there as well, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

AROCA33

In the mean time, to lock your car, you can close all the doors, open the rear driver door, and reach in and press down the button, hopefully the auto unlock wont fire off. Then lock rear door and shut door. I had this issue before, solved by moving the metal rods around inside the door and sprayed some wd 40 on them.

colcol

And when you are trouble shooting the central locking rods, relay bars, latches, etc, make sure your battery is fully charged, as they depend on a good source of 12 volt to work properly, maybe have the battery charger on the battery as you are setting up the door locking mechanics, i know when i set mine up, they seem to work perfect, until the battery starts to run down, and its usually the right hand side rear door that doesn't want to lock - unlock.... that is the one furthest from the battery, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]