Harmonic stabiliser and timing belt in my 159 JTD M

Started by rory8887, January 19, 2013, 02:13:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rory8887

Hello- recently I was prompted by  my  alfa mechanic to replace the timing belt on my 159 JTDM when I took it into the dealer for a service (car had been running very smoothly with no real hassles and no issues at 75,000km , (besides the  new EGR valves commonly required and the 2 rear door electric wiondows)
So my $480 service turned into an expensive exercise ($2,500 with service ,timing belt , one glow plug and RHFlower control arm), however I accepted this as I did not want the engine to suffer untold damage if the belt broke. Garaged the car over Christmas , having only driven the car home and putting no more kms on the clock. This week I drove it approximmately 4 times for a total of less than 150km and when starting the engine  for a fifth time, smelt burning ruibber and coolant !! Turned engine off. Looked under bonnet and there was coolant sprayed everywhere!
Rang dealer. Got RACV to tow it  to dealer .
Salesman in mechanics office shows me a hole , on top of the engine where apparently these coolant plugs are known to blow. Sceptically I ask why wasn't this looked at when you knew enough to ask me to replace the timing belt.  He stated that it was unpredictable . Hmmm.... we were left wondering why they can predict some known faults yet not others. Any way he said come back in an hour, after they had drilled a new plug hole and inserted an aluminium plug . Was another $150 , however shocked to see the car up on hoist wherupon he showed us the harmonic balancer which was damaged.
Another  $687 plus fitting which I will be charged an hour for.
?Does anyone know if this should have been noticed when they changed the timing belt ?  Seems strange to me how they didn't pick it up. My sceptical friends have told me that the mechanic may have  damaged the harmonic balancer when removing it for the timing belt job.  ?Is this possible
All up , my Alfa service has led me to  $3,500 in repairs. Leaves one somewhat sceptical, when we are at the mercy of dealers
?has anyone else had this set of circumstances or is it likely the dealer mechanic damaged or didn't notice the rubber on the harmonic balancer

Thanks Rory

colcol

If you are not happy then change dealers or go to an Independant Alfa Romeo service provider, the timing belts on the Diesel i think are 6 years or 120,000klms????, certainly better than the 3 years 50,000klms on the 147-156 four cylinders, and on the diesel if the cam belt breaks, then the engine is not totally broken, just a bit damaged, cam belt changes are predictable, things like coolant leaks and harmonic balancers are not, and if these items were on their last legs, then the service place will replace them as it is work and earnings for them, if they say these things are known to fail, then the car owner thinks they are being taken for a ride, i don't know if the harmonic balancer has to be removed for cam belt change on the diesels, but not on my 33, but yes on my 156, and on the 156 it is just a push on fit, with no need for special tools, but the harmonic balancers don't last forever, and when they go, they go downhill very quickly, they are under a lot of pressure, can be fine in the morning, wobbling like hell at night, good you picked it up before it did any more damage, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

rory8887

Thanks Colin. Appreciate your input.
I will ask the dealers mechanic if the harmonic balancer needed to come off to replace the timing belt, before I challenge him. Never having had a harmonic balancer go  in 35 years of driving , I was surprised to hear from them that they go not uncommonly.

?do you know any reliable alfa mechanics Berwick way
Regards  Rory

colcol

I have had one go in 38 years of driving, but know of others that have as well, not all cars have harmonic balancers, most striaght 6 cylinders do, there is a rubber sleeve that goes between the pulley and the bush and if soaked in oil, they fail rather quick, otherwise over time the rubber gets old and the pulley starts to wobble, for a Alfa Romeo service provider, have a look on the home page, a lot of club members take their cars there, as they only repair Alfa Romeo's, see how you go, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Cool Jesus

I agree with Col too. I used to take my 159 to a local Alfa dealership for servicing. Belts are to be checked during any service, by the time I got home the power steering belt had fallen off cause it was stretched (which was coming for about a week as there was some noise in the area). Yet they picked up a single wiper blade needed changing for $70. Hmmm, had the belt replaced by them which is the last they'll see of me. I at least have other options as far as mechanics, if I need them. I find dealerships can be greedy in seeking an income from us and do themselves a disservice with poor customer relations.
I'll just point out that there was more to it than just the belt that brought me to my decision, but as I've said before, it's your money and dealerships charge at a premium so you should expect the same. It's understandable that common faults may not present themselves during a service, but to say its common would indicate that it should have been checked. Was it noted on your service invoice?
They can really talk out their back sides sometimes and creating common faults isn't a get out of gaol free card. If the harmonic was removed, deterioration or at least long term oil leakage should have been noticed in my opinion.
Anyhow that's my anti dealership service rant for now  >:(
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

rory8887

Thank You. You have reflected my sentiments.
The dealer's salesman/ mechanic  in Doncaster did finally admit today that the Harmonic Balancer had to come off for the timing belt to be replaced.  I think they have shot themselves in the foot as I was told it was not uncommon for them to go suddenly . (My car had travelled less than 100km since the timing belt was changed)  So iot appears they couldn't pick up a deteriorated harmonic stabiliser  when it was in the palm of the mechanic's hands.
I am about to pick it up and will ask to see the owner or supervisor, as I may lodge a formal complaint.

I do not believe we are whinging! Nobody likes to be taken for a ride.

Rory