Best tools to carry for a 105

Started by nath, January 10, 2013, 02:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick A

I feel this should be a 'what to take on a race weekend' thread.

Davidm1600

But then I would be taking a trailer load of spares, engine, gearbox, shipload of spare tyres etc etc ! ;D
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

AikenDrum105

Flat head screwdriver and a rock. 

If you're really good,  you only need the rock.

;)
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

colcol

And you don't have to stow it all in your toolbox, plenty of room in the spare wheel well of your car, spend hours carefully arrangeing it all to fit, some Solvol  is good to wash up after getting the old girl going, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Davidm1600

With all our talk about what to take, need for auto club membership etc that we havn't scared Nath off in his ownership of his new '69 GTV. After all a good well cared for/or restored 105 is at least from my experience normally a very reliable classic. So hopfully while good to be prepared, rarely should such gear be needed.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

MD

Quotewell cared for/or restored 105

Absolutely key advice there. I once had a 1968 2 litre Giulia Super. Refreshed all the mechancials but left the pretty stuff ugly. Looked like a bag of sheit but went like the powers of piss. Of course I had to go the whole wanker job and ditch the front lounge room seats for a set out of a gtv so it would look more sporty you understand. Authenticity has never been my strong point.  :) Drove that car relentlessly everywhere  I could.

It never let me down. More than once  I pulled over on this highway or that travelling interstate to help out an Alfa owner on the roadside with much younger cars.

You can't always replace everything and it seems that Murphy always finds the one part you deemed to be "she'll be right". Bullshit items like, heater hoses, a driveshaft donut, a windscreen wiper motor, the fuel pump diaphragm, the radiator that's developed a leak in sympathy with the water pump that has developed a leak. The wheel bearing that is now noisey and the alternator that just used up the last 0.5mm of contact brushes. So the lesson here is, if it's mechancial, it's not a question of will it break down. It is simply WHEN is it going to break down. The better prepared you are, the less likelihood there is that you will break down. Yes, yes,  I know that is earth shattering news... :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

nath

Festy, that was a fantastic list and became the basis for my set of gear, not all of it but most.  Anthony, I got a 2 year NRMA membership with a discount so sorted there!  Alfagtv58 WD40 and Gaff tape in the kit!  I also added a1lt of oil and the fire extinguisher but both not in the kit, there were also some jumper leads in the boot.

Choderboy, loved the Macgyver kit!

To answer Davidm1750, has all this talk scared me off?

Well no, I set about filling up an old canvas ammo pouch with all the tools that it could fit, WD40, screwdrivers, wire, duct tape spanners sockets, cable ties etc.
I was heading off on about a 150 mile round trip and it would be the first in my ownership.

So what have I used in the week, adjustable spanner, and the hammer from the knock ons to return a loose battery terminal, socket to tighten front passengers seat, and drivers seat, and that was looking about it until the door handle jammed. Then I used some more sockets and fine screwdrivers to get all of that back to normal.

All good thanks for all the tips, appreciated.