Negative camber

Started by Storm_X, December 21, 2012, 07:33:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Storm_X

I would just like to know the Easiest way to get negative Camber on my giulietta?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

aggie57

Spacers between the bottom arm and the chassis rail. That's the normal way; the are some factory shims available but many people use thick washers with one side cut out.

You do need to get the toe redone afterwards.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

Mick A

If you want anything more than say 2.5 deg then you'll need to install longer bolts.

May I ask why you want more negative camber? Are you going to use the car for the track?

Storm_X

The car will be used for the track yes. I don't to say anything about the car just yet.

Storm_X

Aggie you wouldn't happen to have seen any photos of that way before have you to give me more of an understanding ?

Beatle

Storm X, go have a look at your suspension.  Where the lower wishbone/A-arm bolts to the body/chassis you will see spacers (they look like a cotton reel).  Just add washers, factory shims, or make your own spacer to push the lower wishbone out, which in turn gives you more negative camber.

From memory the factory spacers are slotted so you don't need to remove the bolt fully to install or remove the spacer(s).

The bolts MUST show two full threads visible when installed to be in 'safety'
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd
'04 GT 3.2 Rosso/Tan - Glorious
'02 156 V6 Auto Rosso/Tan - Useful daily

Storm_X

Thank you, I understand now.

Sheldon McIntosh

My $0.02 worth.  If you have a good wheel-aligner nearby (someone that understands track-cars, and will put in the time) just get them to do it, as they can line up both sides properly, and then adjust everything else afterwards, and they'll already have the shims.

If it's a track-car that will also be used on the road (even if only to drive to the track) then don't go over about 2.5, basically what you'd get from the standard bolts.  If you might one day want to make it a track-only car, and if you're also going to change the torsion-bars, put some longer bolts in at the same time, because you need to take out the torsion-bars to change the bolts.  Better to future-proof the car ahead of time than to do a torsion-bar change again.  The extended bolts might be hard to find, but I'm sure your local club-members could help out with where to find them.

As Chode intimated, don't go too extreme on neg camber if it's only a road-car, it just makes it difficult to drive on anything other than perfectly smooth roads.  It also makes braking slightly worse, and may invalidate any insurance claims.

Good luck with it, and I'm looking forward to hearing about your track-car.  Make sure you start a build-thread.

Cheers
Sheldon

Storm_X

Well I am putting in some 30mm torsion bars so if I can get any new/longer bolts,I will install them just to be safe .

Not going to do any work until after Christmas ,and a build thread might be hard using a iPhone. 

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Storm_X on December 23, 2012, 03:57:16 PM
Well I am putting in some 30mm torsion bars so if I can get any new/longer bolts,I will install them just to be safe .

30mm will be enough of a PITA to install that you'd only want to do it once, so yeah, get the longer bolts if you can.  Do your research well  ahead of time though, as they can be hard to get a hold of, or so I'm told.

Storm_X

I would have to take them out and take them to the local fastners store and see if they have any or can order Some. Or unless someone know the exact size bolt and tread ?

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Storm_X on December 23, 2012, 05:01:33 PM
I would have to take them out and take them to the local fastners store and see if they have any or can order Some. Or unless someone know the exact size bolt and tread ?

Ask one of your fellow SA club-members.  Surely you're a member by now?   Seriously mate, $100 (or whatever it is in SA) now, will save you thousands in the long run.

Sheldon McIntosh

I've just been informed by PM that 30mm TBs are easy to install, and that the longer bolts are really easy to find.  So there.

I'm sure the PMer was trying to spare my blushes.    Cook your own eggs next time Choi!!!!

Storm_X

I don't drive any of my alfas anymore, I was about to get historic rego on my giulietta but just recently SA goverment changed the rules. So I can not apply for historic rego for some time now , and apart of the historic rego you have to be a member of the SA Alfa club. I will get around to becoming a member once I get my road car into some sort of decent condition.