147 woes

Started by GlenR, January 09, 2008, 01:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenR

Hello Alfa afficianados.

I have a 2002 147 that I have been pretty happy with overall. But...

The timing belt caught me out recently and, yep. the joyous sound of valves meeting pistons serenaded my ears.  :(

My local mechanic rebuilt it but I now have an intermittent problem he is having trouble locating. Every now and then I get the engine management failure light come on. Sometimes this puts me in limp mode (3000rpm rev limit  :o) and sometimes it doesn't. As I said, it doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it runs fine.

Interegating the computer always reports a problem with the cam position sensor. I'm fairly sure the problem is not teh sensor but a bad connection between it & the ECU. Just a gut feel - I'm in IT and the symptoms just flash those sort of warning lights, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I can keep taking the car back, but ho often do I want to be Alfa-less? Does anyone know a good Alfa-knowledgeable mechanic? I am in Western Sydney. I tend to avoid dealers as past experiences with a variety of cars has led me to believe they are expensive and often not really as skilled as they would have you believe.

I also have an intermittent electrical issue with the ABS/VDC which fails occasionally, probably a connection/sensor issue also, but I haven't chased that one due to $$$$$$. This one's been with me from well before the engine rebuild though.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

The shame of this all is, up until now, the 147 has been reliable, comfortab;e and fun! Need to get these qualities back. :)

Brad M

Just for interest sake how many K's had the car done when the timing belt let go?
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

GlenR

About 84,000km.

And yes, I know. Should have changed at 60,000.   :(

John Hanslow

Hi GlenR, if you lived in Melbourne then there are several places to go and seek assistance.  They are listed on the sponsors link on our home page.

Having said that, check out the NSW car club site and have a look there; maybe join up and go to a club night and get some general recommendations first hand.

It's great that there are good specilalist mechanics that around (in any State) who really understand Alfas.   And that cover all budgets .....
Go forth and seek ...

Best of luck with your car.
Now:
2011 Giulietta QV

Previously:
1989 164 3.0  V6
2002 156 Twin Spark Sports Edition
2002 147 Twin Spark
2002 916 Spider Twin Spark
1990 Alfa 75 Potenziata

mikz