Selespeed pump issue

Started by warsch, February 26, 2018, 10:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warsch

I just got one more 156 which has a selespeed pump issue. The pump stops pumping after 10-15 minutes. The car is a 2004 156 JTS.

My question is, could that be a relay? Where do I look for it? Tried googling but couldn't find where it is located.

But my bet is on the pump itself. Is it worth trying to just replace the brushes? Can I find some more or less suitable brushes locally so I don't have to wait for them to arrive from overseas?

Or should I rather just replace the whole pump and be done with it?

Citroënbender

I'm sure you could re-brush the pump motor via a local supplier, assuming the pump hasn't leaked into it and the permanent magnets are well stuck to the casing. Success might also reflect the commutator's health.

warsch

Thanks. And local supplier being who? I've tried looking up on the internet but I'm not even sure what to look for. What do I type in Google search bar?

Citroënbender

Power tool repairers, might be a starting point.

Have you measured the existing ones to get dimensions?

warsch

Not yet, the pump is still in the car but I'm planning ahead when it's out.

bazzbazz

You CANNOT use brushes from 240v power tools (the resistance is too high), you need to use automotive 12v brushes.

I do a completely reconditioned exchange pump if your interested.

Will PM you the price. (The reason I don't mention it here is that would be a form of commercial interest, and this is a public club forum)
On The Spot Alfa
Mobile Alfa Romeo Diagnostic/Repair/Maintenance/Service
Brisbane/Gold Coast
onthespotalfa@iinet.net.au

bazzbazz

Just one little thing, you do need to be competent with a Soldering Iron, when soldering the new brushes in, if the solder joint is not done properly there is a chance that they can fail under the internal heat from the pump operation, and you're back at square one.

On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

warsch

I've already ordered some 12 v generic brushes from Sydney for $9. I am somewhat experienced with low voltage soldering but not sure if my skills are sufficient for this task. Thanks for the offer, I'll definitely consider it. But first I need to get the pump out. I also checked that a whack with a spanner brings the pump back to life for some time.

Citroënbender

Any progress with the repairs?

warsch

No, I was busy stripping sump plug on one of the other 156s. Also didn't have much spare time due to work & racing commitments. Maybe next weekend. It's not like I'm in urgent need of yet one more running Alfa right now.

bazzbazz

You should start up your own Car Yard at this rate.  ;D
On The Spot Alfa
Brisbane/Gold Coast

warsch

I need to fix three out of four first. Stripped sump plug on one, inner CV boots, brake rotors and some minor stuff on the other one, and selespeed pump on the third.

And running a two day hillclimb event this weekend isn't helping for sure.

warsch

I think I finally got some time to sort out the issue. What do I need to remove to get to the pump? Wheel, wheel arch liner and cover on top of the pump. Would that suffice? Do I need to drain selespeed fluid first? It's been replaced less than a year ago, so I don't want to replace it yet.