Recent posts

Queensland / Re: Alfetta GTV 2000 1978 Driv...
Last post by festy - May 03, 2024, 11:04:11 AM
The cable is easy to replace if the regulator is still ok (i.e. if the plastic tabs that hold the cable ends haven't broken off).

If your cable has been damaged, it may be a sign that you need to replace the top and bottom pulleys in the door frame.
Concave rollers for sliding doors work well as replacements, something like https://www.bunnings.com.au/rolltrak-32mm-nylon-concave-roller_p3961451

General Discussion / Re: Corrosion Awareness Day
Last post by MD - May 02, 2024, 06:52:51 AM
...and you would think Italian wiring would have the jump on everybody. After all, Marconi invented radio ? A possible confusion between spaghetti and wiring ?

I don't believe that and I know you don't believe that either  ;D

Actually, Italian communications equipment is first class.
Last post by poohbah - May 01, 2024, 03:42:59 PM
I've been driving my 81 Alfetta GTV to work the last few days, and with the first wet weather in months, I quickly rediscovered that I get a choice of running any 2 of 3 the following functions at one time, but never all three at once: - wipers and headlights,  wipers and heater/demister, heater/demister and headlights ...

Much better when driving in the wet during daylight hours, then I can run the wipers and listen to the stereo, as long as I wind down my window to keep the screen clear!
Buy/Swap/Sell [Announce ONLY] / Re: WTB. 3.2 Busso pistons and...
Last post by ALFAAA - May 01, 2024, 06:42:17 AM
 Hi to all, whats the price of a good condition low K's 3.2 24v Busso going for these days.
Buy/Swap/Sell [Announce ONLY] / Cheap Spider carpet set - Vict...
Last post by mn1 - April 30, 2024, 03:19:28 PM
Long story...This is a Lakewell set supposedly for Spiders from '78 to '94. A number of issues with S3 fitment - the panel that sweeps under the rear scuttle makes no allowance for the ECU cover for a fuel injected S3. You might be able to cut it appropriately but not much wriggle room to get it right. Second issue - the knuckle-head who cut it put the footwell templates down upside down so with the offset tunnel the wide footwell piece is about 40mm too narrow and the narrow piece is too wide.....there is enough over size in the tunnel and footwell side pieces to make sure there is no gap where the wide footwell piece rests and obviously a too large one can be made smaller but it means the edge trim will need to be removed and replaced if you go this route. The skinny bit that goes just below the parcel deck has the offset correctly placed - go figure. The rest of it is pretty good for fit but, as with all sets, fettling is always required. In summary, a bit of work and footwell compromise is required to make this set work.  My solution was to make a complete set from scratch. In the end I used the pieces as templates (which saved heaps of time) for a set I cut from carpet supplied by Knox Auto Carpets (you need 7 meters off the roll) and edged it with vinyl from Vyfab. So price will reflect the limitations and if you have an S3 and want to take a punt or just use the pieces as templates I have my original rear scuttle sweep pieces for the bits that are unique to fuel injected models. If anyone is interested...this set cost about A$700 back when the A$ was at parity...so it wasn't cheap then ...but it will be now. Open to offers. Note- there are (redundant) pieces within the set that may or may not be required depending on year of Spider and as a set of templates it would be suitable for  any series and a great starting point. Colour in photo appears as a solid blue - it has a lighter blue fleck and appears lighter in real life. email me at mekem4@gmail.com if you have any queries
Last post by Duk - April 30, 2024, 10:47:12 AM
Relays must have been really expensive in Italy, back in the day.
A bit like a car manufacturers reputation, just too expensive to get right.  :o

I'll never be able to get my head around FIAT and Alfa Romeo's inability to get the most basic, fundamental electrical systems even remotely correct.
I am talking about older car like the 75's and 116 chassis cars, I don't know if they figured out anything for the 164's and newer models.
You like to think they would have............  ::)
116 Series (Alfetta Sedan/GT/GTV & Giulietta Sedan) / Re: Rusty hatch
Last post by festy - April 30, 2024, 07:35:03 AM
I found another side and corner piece yesterday in a different spot to where I found the first bits, so I'm sure the rest is buried in my garage somewhere.

Last post by MD - April 30, 2024, 07:15:57 AM
Always a snag isn't there ?!!
If you literally cannot find the missing stainless cover strips to complete the  job and you are not too precious about it, consider a rubber surround like in the later models.
Buy/Swap/Sell [Announce ONLY] / WANTED - 105 Roof
Last post by Harry.s - April 29, 2024, 01:18:51 PM
Hi All,

I'm in the middle of restoring a 1750 GTV and have repaired an awful sunroof hole but am not 100% happy with results. Does anyone have or know of a donor car or happen to have a roof (including pillars) for sale?

Cheers
Harry
Last post by festy - April 29, 2024, 10:11:25 AM
The paint has had 6 weeks to harden, time to see how it scrubs up.
paint.jpg

Started with a very light (actually too light) colour sand, then cutting compound, then followed by a polish.
Then I realize I was too gentle with the colour sanding, so repeat the whole process.

It's a long way from perfect, but I'm happy enough with how its coming up.
polish.jpg

polish2.jpg

Now, to find where I hid the rest of the chrome trim 10 years ago...