Windscreens and ski trips

Started by Bellbird, August 13, 2012, 06:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rigi

Not sure if he covers you're area but you can give Shane a ring on 0418 202 752 .... been doing it for a quite a while ... panel beater in our complex uses him and he has done some pretty good removals and installs for us over the time
Current
2010 GT 3.2 100 year Anniversary
1977 Alfetta GTV - Grp s
1974 GTV105 Resto (wip)
1977 Alfetta GTV Normal Roadie on Historics

Past
1980 Alfetta sedan('prettyboy')
1986 Alfetta GTV6GP
1985 Alfetta GTV6
1984 Alfetta GTV
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1978 Alfetta Sed

Bellbird

Ok, thanks for this Rigi.  Will give him a call.  If I have to go to him, then good excuse for a drive! (as long as it is on the weekend!)

Bellbird

Just called him.  Good price and he can drive out to me! 

Col, didn't you recommend that I go to him though?????  Issue if of course that I can't drive for a while once it's in. 

And ACE, I check if it has a rain sensor by locating the little 'black box' (in case of a crash as well!!!)  next to the rear vision mirror.

Bellbird

Another thing I forgot to add, he was MILES and MILES cheaper than anyone else!!!  (Like $500 than a big company!) :o

colcol

The series 2, 2002-2004 156's had the little rain sensor, that i think was located on the rear vision mirror, and looks at the screen for droplets of water, had a windscreen change in my car about 8 years ago, windscreen mob said they prefer to do it at their shop, because they have all the good gear there, such as trims, clips etc, but they said they could do it at my workplace, for extra, ended up getting it done at their place, did a good job, i only recommend places in Melbourne, my knowledge won't extend to N.S.W., you will have to wait a few hours for silastic to go off, and ask what brand of windscreen, and if it has a quality standard 9001, some don't, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bellbird

Ended up getting a genuine windscreen from Rocco's Alfa Wreckers in Sydney.  He pointed out a very important point......if I got a normal windscreen, it would be a waste of $$$$$$!!!  The genuine one has the ANTENNA in it! (the black strip around the top which I thought was just decoration!)  Rocco also taught me about the little signs on the windscreen (two little circles on the base) that show it is genuine.

Pays to go to those "in the know". 

dehne

Good old Rocco have brought a few things from them over time have always been well priced and a great source of knowledge have learnt a lot of things about the selespeed from him and Andrew.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

colcol

Although i have never noticed a antenna strip on the windscreen, it would be almost impossible to sell one without an antenna, like you change the windscreen, and then the owner has no radio, will be back after a drive round the block, the series 2 156's, [2002-2004], have a bee sting aerial on top of the roof, near the back window, Andrew and Rocco seem quite on the ball with all things Alfa, thats the impression i got when i dealt with them, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Bellbird

Your man Riji, Shane, wants to charge me $140 just to install the windscreen (I have one now thanks to
Rocco)

Seems a bit steep to me???????

Rigi

May have been worthwhile asking Rocco for a 'local' installer and have it done when you bought the windscreen (2nd hand?) from him? Guess you will find someone local to you to install? Not sure if someone travelling to an non suburban area, removing the old screen and installing the replacement one is overcharging at $140. but that's just my opinion as I don't know what the going rate would be ... guess you will be able to let us know how you end up fairing.
Current
2010 GT 3.2 100 year Anniversary
1977 Alfetta GTV - Grp s
1974 GTV105 Resto (wip)
1977 Alfetta GTV Normal Roadie on Historics

Past
1980 Alfetta sedan('prettyboy')
1986 Alfetta GTV6GP
1985 Alfetta GTV6
1984 Alfetta GTV
1980 Alfetta Sedan
1978 Alfetta Sed

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: Bellbird on August 27, 2012, 09:28:51 AM
Your man Riji, Shane, wants to charge me $140 just to install the windscreen (I have one now thanks to
Rocco)

Seems a bit steep to me???????

Jeez, I would have thought that was alright, I'd happily pay that much for a good job.  And it would double the value of my car!!

Bellbird

Just thought it was steep cause Rocco said should be about $80.  Might give him a call and ask him.  Good idea Rigi re a local person.  Just feel slack cause organised for Shane to come out and if I cancel the day before, just feel bad.  Not a good business woman am I!  Not ruthless enough!

colcol

As far as i can see, windscreens are so cheap, why would you put a second hand one in?, with all the scratches and sandblasting, the big ticket item will be the labour costs, pulling one out will cost as much as putting one in, if it was me, just get a new one with a warranty, radio antenna strip and a quality standard on the screen to make sure its a good one, buy it from a reputable windscreen dealer, Colin.

Bellbird

hmmm.  Good point Colin.  Got the windscreen now so lesson learnt....  :(

Hope it is ok.......if  not, then I'll just go back to square one and get a new one  >:( installed and claim it on insurance as I do have windscreen protection!!!

Bellbird

RiGi - (got it right this time I believe) - the windscreen has worked out well and so has Shane.  My daughter took a 'sickie' from school to be there for him to fix it and she was very impressed with him.  Says he was very nice and genuine. 

I should be paid commissions for all these people I rave about on this site!! ;D