Neil Armstrong RIP 1930-2012

Started by Stuart Thomson, August 26, 2012, 10:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Thomson

One of my heroes has died.

RIP Neil, an inspiration.

aggie57

End of an era.  Humility had no better envoy.
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

colcol

Space travel, Motor racing and regrettably wars all advance the human race, because of all the things the engineers and scientists learn, the amount of computing power in that first trip to the moon, would now most likely fit in an iphone, as the boundaries are constantly pushed, the first mission to the moon, the electrics were all done by LUCAS aerospace in England, at the time it was hard to beleive that it actually happened, it was like a sci-fi, i had a model hanging from my bedroom ceiling of the space craft, as a kid, RIP, Mr. Armstrong, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Evan Bottcher

Agreed Colin. The iPhone would be many many times more powerful and capable.  Great engineering went on back then, with a singular drive and determination we'll probably never see again.

http://www.computerweekly.com/feature/Apollo-11-The-computers-that-put-man-on-the-moon
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

pancho

Did anyone see that article/interview he did with the small time journo recently?

Apparently NA was a bit of a recluse living in a very small town community in the US - really interesting article. I'll try find it if anyone's keen.

Alan Hopla

He did an interview with CPA Australia recently, "An audience with Neil Armstrong".
http://thebottomline.cpaaustralia.com.au/
Broken up as four 15 minute pieces.

For those of us of that age who watched amazed as he stepped out onto the moon he will never be forgotten.
While mankind has a recorded history he will always be remembered.

RIP Mr Armstrong.
Alan Hopla
77' 116GTV
83' 116GTV TwinSpark
04' GT 3.2 V6, Stromboli Grey

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: colcol on August 26, 2012, 10:06:47 PM
the first mission to the moon, the electrics were all done by LUCAS aerospace in England,

Bloody hell!!  I didn't know that.  In that case I wouldn't have gone round the block in that thing, let alone to the moon.  Wow, my admiration for those guys just went up 100-fold.

And I know it's an urban myth, but the "Mr Gorsky" story is very funny..  http://www.snopes.com/quotes/mrgorsky.asp

I might be watching "The Right Stuff" this week.  And maybe "Capricorn One" for a laugh.

Quote from: pancho on August 27, 2012, 12:47:23 AM
Did anyone see that article/interview he did with the small time journo recently?

Apparently NA was a bit of a recluse living in a very small town community in the US - really interesting article. I'll try find it if anyone's keen.

Yeah man, post it up.

Beatle

Quote from: colcol on August 26, 2012, 10:06:47 PM
, the electrics were all done by LUCAS aerospace in England, at the time it was hard to beleive that it actually happened, it was like a sci-fi,

Luckily the electrics only had to last three days......  And Colin, up until that fateful day it WAS science fiction ;D.

I still find it strange we stopped going to the moon way back in 1972!
Paul B
QLD

Past:
'79 GTV - Loyal 1st love
'76 GT - Track entry
'89 75TS - Saved
'76 Alfetta - Sacrificed
'83 GTV6 - NT bullet
'67 Duetto - Fun
'66 Super - Endearing
'92 164 - Stunning
'85 90 - Odd