clarify 75 crank sensor information

Started by Takinko, October 17, 2012, 10:53:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takinko

I am looking for a crank sensor for my 75 TS 2 litter engine. I was searching Alfa BB and they said 164 24V? (not 16V?) will fit. I asked a ebay seller and he said it will not. I am confused ???

Someone said even E36 BMW sensor will fit, but again a seller said it is not compatible.

I would like to clarify the information. The original (at least mine) sensor looks all silver metal sensor with 3 pins plug. The 164 has a small sensor on the centre of the black thiggy, and visually different. I don't care if it works, but Iam just worried. Please help me.

BradGTV

I had both a twinspark and 164 12v in my shed a couple months ago, from memory they were the same.
79 gtv sr20, 83 gtv, 83 gtv6 3.0, 75 ts x 3, 85 gtv, 76 gt, 91 164, Subey L Series, S13 silvia, Bmw e30 318i, VT SS 6spd

festy

Quote from: Takinko on October 17, 2012, 10:53:25 PM
I am looking for a crank sensor for my 75 TS 2 litter engine.
I would like to clarify the information. The original (at least mine) sensor looks all silver metal sensor with 3 pins plug.
Are you sure it's got 3 pins and not 2? The TS CAS is a plain old reluctor sensor, which only uses 2 wires.
An ABS sensor from just about any car or bike will work, providing you can mount it in the correct position.
On my alfetta's (homebrew) EFI setup I use an 80's saab 9000 ABS sensor, only because that's what I had on hand when I was making the bracket.

AikenDrum105

It is a 3 pin Bosch/junior timer  connector - I'm fairly sure the third pin earths the braided shield in the cable.
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

Takinko

Are you sure it's got 3 pins and not 2? The TS CAS is a plain old reluctor sensor, which only uses 2 wires.
An ABS sensor from just about any car or bike will work, providing you can mount it in the correct position.
On my alfetta's (homebrew) EFI setup I use an 80's saab 9000 ABS sensor, only because that's what I had on hand when I was making the bracket.
[/quote]

Yes, I am sure it is 3 pins because I have the one fit on my old 75 TS engine. I disassembled myself. If you look at photos (i.e., ebay sellers), it is different by the looks. I want to know which alternative is good to use.

Darryl

Quote from: Takinko on October 18, 2012, 10:02:47 PM
Yes, I am sure it is 3 pins because I have the one fit on my old 75 TS engine. I disassembled myself. If you look at photos (i.e., ebay sellers), it is different by the looks. I want to know which alternative is good to use.

Have you actually tried to buy one from one of the usual (club sponsoring) parts suppliers (fwiw I bought one from The Spares Place 2 years ago)? As others have said its nothing too special electrically (but mounting and plug are obviously the issue). Yes, my original was all metal the replacement is mostly black plastic. It fits, it works, I didn't have to spend any time cross referencing parts hoping they would fit.

Takinko

I finally found a Bosch OEM crank sensor in the UK. But the cost GBP 85 plus postage. It was much more expensive than ones fitting for 164 and others. If I knew that these fit without problem, I would bought without hesitation.

bteoh

There's some Facet ones for sale on eBay from the UK. See item no : 140877009360
It's listed at £52 plus £13.75 postage

MD

As a general rule it is always a good idea to ensure the signal from the crank angle sensor is shielded as it has a relativley low output and the signal can easily be affected by "engine bay electrical noise" from injectors, spark plugs ,alternator etc. In some cases it can significatly upset the running of the engine as the EFI computer is receiving garble.

So typically, a 3 pin connector is two conductors plus a grounded shield.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Takinko

Hi bteoh,

If you send me email earlier, I could save GBP30. I spoke to several sellers in the UK, and said this type would not fit to 75 TS engine. Now I know.