What's the colour of my 2002 156 called?

Started by Bellbird, July 21, 2012, 03:52:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evan Bottcher

I don't think that modern Alfa's (e.g. newer than 1990ish) have any more electrical issues than any other make, so your mechanic's information may be a little out of date.  Having said that - the taillights on my 156 did seem to go pop on a more regular basis than anything else, I think I changed them all a couple of times in five years-ish that I owned the car, which seemed a little excessive.  Perhaps there is a design problem there.  What problem do you have with the tail lights on your car?
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Craig_m67

I've noticed the abs plastic that makes up the bulb (lamp) holder is soft and can be damaged easily when changing the bulbs by fellas with big fingers (me), also the contacts can corrode and are not very springy.  Easily cleaned and re-bent to work perfectly though.. Cheaper than a whole new light fitting.

The brake pedal switch is often an issue too. It has an automatic adjuster built in for wear which often, at the end of it's adjustment causes the brake lamps to flash or stay on (fail mode for the switch is on.. as opposed to nothing working, and nobody noticing until they hit you). It too can be reset easily when removed (twist, pull, unplug). no need to replace unless it's cactus.

We've had our 156 for six years now, its easily the most reliable car let alone Alfa, we've ever had.

Make sure you keep it topped up with the right oil (get in the habit of checking, it's designed to use oil!!)
Make sure it has a healthy battery (crazy symptoms can ensue with a dodgy/old battery)
Make sure the water pump, aux and cambelts and tensioners get done on time (critical!!)
...  service it and occasionally wash her

Fantastic cars, bulletproof if maintained.
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Bellbird

Evan - the tail light is very dim when driving at night and when the car is stationary, ignition is off, key is out, car is locked, it is still on!  Have been told it is a wiring issue.

Craig - It is only the passenger side tail light so not a brake light issue, I think.

Oil - my mechanic recommended a 10w30 oil but no one seems to be recommending this in other posts.  What do you think of 10w30?  I will do take it to the snow a bit in winter.

The timing belt went before I owned it.  Hope it won't be a long term engine issue.

Have already used extra cut cream polish (is this deadly stuff?) followed by a normal polish so will wash it occasionally!

I certainly know all about servicing European cars regularly and the effort one must go to - my mother has had a series of Peugeots since the 1974 504 model and she has had to travel five hours to the mechanic!  (she does live in a rural area and the mechanic five hours away is the bees knees, apparently)

Craig_m67

Okay then.

Dim taillight that won't go out on one side is known symptom for a bad/dry solder joint on an series of three ICs in the circuit that detects if a bulb has blown.  This circuit is on/in the tacho. Simplest fix is to just replace the tacho, unless your mechanic has exceptional skill with soldering small electronics (highly unlikely).

This issue causes the battery to continually drain, which will eventually leave you stranded.

Do you know who fixed the engine after the cambelt fail, do you have a list of work done, warranty?

I not sure on which oil is best for twinsparks as I drive a diesel however it is written in the manual and the slam panel under the bonnet.  Alfa knows best which weight oil to use in their engines, they spent millions developing it after all, just use what it says.

I've never cut polished mine, I have used clay however and that brings it up a treat.

As before, my car is a diesel. However I have run it in the snow (Scotland, Germany) and across the beach (Whitsundays), we now live in Brisbane.  I've done no particular maintenance for either climate etc good tyres and normal servicing,  these cars are designed for use in Europe primarily where it can be freezing cold and really hot throughout the seasons. Yes, it's really that a good a car, we brought it home with us.

Aircon is rubbish from new.

Bellbird

Gave all the codes on the compliance plate to Alfa Sydney and they came back and said that it is a cosmos blue and that they can post out a touch up pen.  Thanks everyone for all your advice!  Does anyone know if Alfa Parramatta are OK for servicing?  They should be.

Davidm1600

It is funny how in the sedan's the paint code/name is written on a sticker in the boot, in my '03 JTS wagon its on the compliance plate, in the engine bay.  My car being Gabbiano blue (light metallic blue).

Re oils, 10w30 seems extraodinarily low grade.  From memory I have used 10W40 but have seen recomendations for 10W60 for the JTS engine.  Yes they do seem to use oil, but if you keep an eye on this, it should never be a concern.

Luckily for me, so far I have only had one minor electrical problem in 4 1/2 years ownership.  I had a faulty rear electric window switch that needed replacing.   

In terms of parts, places in the UK such as EB Spares are definitely worth checking out, as parts out here in Aus can be a little pricey and even with postage you could come out in front.   

I have not needed to cut my paint as it is still in excellent condition.  I have heard of the use of clay but wouldn't have a clue where to get it, (not out of the garden !!!!), and a good polish is always worth doing to protect your pride and joy.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Bellbird

Davidm - I'll swap the 10w30 oil for a 10w40 when I'm at the shop next.  In the meantime, as I wanted the touch up pen, I asked ALFA about oils and the 'parts interpreter' came back with a most courteous and efficient response (I had given him my credit card details first) - I could buy a one litre Selenia Racing Synthetic Oil which he keeps "in stock at all times".  So, am going to use that to begin with to give me time to swap the other one.

Thanks for telling me about EB Spares in the UK.  My 17 year old son owns a MK1 Golf so he could use EB (probably knows about them already).  Clay sounds like a good option too.

Craig_m - I have the receipt for the timing belt work.  Don't know about warranty.  Will get Tacho fixed re tail light and battery, water pump, aux and cambelts checked regularly.

Supposed to be working so better get back to it!

Sarah :)

colcol

I wouldn't worry about swapping the 10-30 oil, it should be ok, might use a tad more oil, remember 10-40 for Twin spark, 10-60 for JTS, both fully synthetic racing oil, from your favourite oil maker, when polishing the paint ALWAYS use the finest cutting polish, that is swirl and blemish remover or any fine burnishing non agresive cleaner that removes a minimum of paint, you are trying to remove all the rubbish embedded in the paint, and removing small scratches, and remember you remove big scratches with small scratches, then you put a wax over the top of the paintwork to protect it from the elements, i did a bit of damage to my first cars paintwork by using a 'no 2 cut' cleaner, it took out a bit of paint, and scratched the remaining, i am wiser now, and when your paintwork is in tip top condition, you can use a clay bar, i used one for the first time this year, oh my god, they are simply amazing the way they pull all the rubbish out of the paintwork and shine it up, the paint was so shiny, i couldn't rest the bottle on the roof, as it would just slide off, EB spares [egg & bacon] in the UK only do Alfa Romeo, and do it good, cam belt every 3 years or 50,000klms or whatever comes first, new water pump every second cam belt change, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Davidm1600

Hi Col, just a really quick question, where do you get clay bar from? And is it suitable for say a car like mIne which has paint I excellent condition. My 156 does live outside all the time but I clean it regularly and ditto have kept the polish up to it. Have used Autoglym in the past and was very impressed by it.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

I bought my claybar from Repco, my cars paintwork is in good condition, and when i claybarred it was so smooth, with no bits of rubbish caught in the paintwork, the claybar sounds like a lump of clay you rub over the paintwork, its not, its like a bit of plasticene that you polish the car with, just buy one and do it, and  put some wax on it to protect the paint work, we have to keep our 156's looking good!, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Craig_m67

I bought a Mequiars clay kit six or seven years ago from Repco/Supercheap/wherever it was on special.. still have half the clay, although this may be more representitive of how infrequently the sooty family wagon gets washed :)  I use it with a spray bottle filled with water.  Works a treat. Paint feels amazing afterwards (really, I need to get out more).

Re the Tacho... try Autolusso for spares (second hand primarily) too.. they're fantastic and will no doubt get you the right tacho, delivered to your home faster, $$cheaper and politer with more surety than any local wrecker could.  Make sure you give them the cars VIN number so they can look it up on ePer and match it perfectly.

Bellbird

Wow!  You people are amazing!  Your knowledge is INVALUABLE.  Should be bottled!  

Colcol - you are an absolute oracle!  The paintwork looks worse since I used the cut and polish.  I used a normal polish afterward.  Maybe I didn't polish it so well????  Clay is definitely the go!  Have to have it looking good for Sunday.  Am going on a 'Sunday Drive' with the Canberra Chapter Alfisti! (except I travel from the complete opposite direction).

Craig_m - Thanks for the advice re tacho and Autolusso.  Yes, it seems you do need to get out more! :D

Davidm1600

Thanks col etc re the advice on claybar. Will get onto it, will also try it out on the other halfs beemer. She is not really into taking much care of its appearance. My job I guess !
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

colcol

The claybar is good for getting rubbish out of the paint, but for absolute scratch removal and shine, you need to use very fine polish, i use TURTLE brand swirl and scratch remover in a green bottle, i purchased it at Repco, and for the wax, to protect the paintwork, use a liquid wax, [any brand], that you rub on, wait for it to dry and then polish it off, i have a tin of PORZELACK, [from 1992], and the wax is solid, its hard work putting it on, harder work polishing it off, Colin.

AlfaACT

Quote from: Bellbird on July 25, 2012, 06:24:05 AM
...  Have to have it looking good for Sunday.  Am going on a 'Sunday Drive' with the Canberra Chapter Alfisti! (except I travel from the complete opposite direction) ...

Oh dear! The pressure is on now ... Looks like Saturday might be busy for all of us.
We are impressed with the effort that you are going to, Bellbird. There should be a fair crowd there to welcome you though. Hope you enjoy your day.

ciao,
Peter.