HID Driving lights

Started by joestram, June 12, 2012, 01:09:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joestram

Hi,

Has anyone attempted to installed HID driving lights into their alfettas?

Anything I need to look out for?

Thanks

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

Storm_X

"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

scuzzyGTV

Hi Joe

I'm also considering doing this, and my first steps will be to check the ADR's, then chat to my local Shannons Rep to know the legal ramifications.

are you thinking of replacing the hi beam lights, or bumper/bar moutning?

Scott.
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

festy

I've been running cheap ebay 55w HIDs in my 4wd (and my wife's 4wd too) for years now - they're not alfettas, but if they've survived what I've put them through (river crossings, mud pits, snow, 40*C deserts...) I doubt they'll be treated any worse in a road car ;)
I use the "full sized" ballasts, my brother had a set fitted to his car with the slimline ballasts and had a bunch of problems with failing ballasts - he switched to the larger ones and no further issues.
The legal side of fitting them doesn't apply to high beam or driving lights IIRC, the self-levelling/self-cleaning ADR requirements only apply to dipped beam lights, but best to look up the ADR for yourself.
Go for the 4700k colour (or is that 4300?), the 6000k is too blue and the 3000k are annoyingly green.
Also, they take a second or two to come up to temperature when you first turn them on (their initial light output is almost equal to a 60w halogen, but once they warm up they are amazing). Switching back on after 30 seconds or so and they're still warm so immediately full brightness.
The bulb lengths are different to halogen bulbs, so you may have to space the bulb back a bit to get the focal point right for the reflector. On my wife's Delica, I had to stick a nylon washer between the bulb seat and reflector, it helped a lot with light output.

The HIDs use considerably less power than a halogen bulb, so no need to beef up the wiring. The ballasts are an inverter, so voltage drop won't make them duller, they just draw a bit more current to compensate (which can be a vicious circle with really bad wiring).

They also run a lot cooler, so they won't damage the reflector like a high wattage halogen.
If I ever get my alfetta coupe back on the road, it will get a set of ebay HIDs in it's high beam lights - as will any other car I own.

When I first fitted them to my 4wd I was a bit sceptical because they weren't being widely used at that point - so I did a bunch of testing and datalogging current/light output etc. One of my tests was to see how far away from the car I could get and still be able to read a book from the light they produced - I gave up at 1km, I was sick of walking ;)

The 35w versions use less power again and are a little cheaper - but I think the 55w kits are around $50-60 these days, and the extra light is worth having.

Installing them is dead simple, you just replace the halogen globe with the HID one, plug that into the ballast box, and plug the original high beam wires into the ballast. It's a 10 minute job, and 8 of that is finding the best place to mount the ballast (which should be simple on the gtv compared to the installations I've done)

Mat Francis

You are not allowed to replace your high beams with these (in Victoria at least).

I converted my outer lights to run H4 bulbs (so they are then both low and high beams), and ran the inside pair as driving lights with HIDs in them. When I went for a roadworthy for the car, having thought I'd done everything by the book, I was told this is not legal either, and I would have to mount them in a non factory lighting position for them to be legal. (I'll also add that all my wiring was properly done, ie couldn't have the HIDs on without the high beams etc). When I can be bothered I will put the HIDs into the super oscars I have for the car.

All that aside, they cost me about $60 off ebay, were absolutely brilliant, and I would definitely do the same again!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Cool Jesus

You'll find that HID head light retro fitting can be as easy as slipping a globe into your lens with some minor rewiring. The problem you'll find is that most (if not all) State motor registries require an unusually onerous amount of refurbishment with the lens and lighting system, such as, lens washing, HID compliant lenses, auto levelling system just to mention a few. How many car manufacturers actually go to this length. Usually the high end market and one tell tale sign of these compliance requirements is the little water jet spout usually on the front bumper or somewhere near the lens to wash off dirt and mud. In 25 years of driving, I've yet to get any dirt on my headlights!

I'm gonna burst a few bubbles here, yes there are plenty of boy racers out there with their HID converted rice burners. In fact I desperately wanted them on my Alfetta restoration. But I can guarantee you that the majority of retro fitted/upgraded HIDs isn't ADR compliant and it's only a matter of time before a walloper defects the vehicle.

Do your research on it; check the ADRs, before committing to a purchase.

In my quest for optimum lighting, I found that as earlier mentioned the 4300k or 4700k light spectrum to be the best as its closer to halogen and I think normal daylight, and less likely to draw unwanted enforcement attention! Otherwise a simple rewiring of the lighting system, with good globes will give amazing results over what old Alfa gave us. Buy good globes, I mean brand names, if you by cheap globes, you'll get cheap lighting. I've been stung more than once by this false sense of economy. I wasted money on some cheap Chinese blue coloured glass xenon like globes on my kid's car. They lasted a few months before I replaced them with standard halogen, which were noticeably better.

Here's a good write up by RACQ about this topic

http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/cars/car_advice/car_fact_sheets/headlights
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS

scuzzyGTV

Daniel Stern is always has some good info, just reading some of his tech articles has changed how I use my lights.

anyway this is the link ti his HID section: http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html
81 GTV 2.0 - Red

joestram

Thanks for all the mature responses guys.

I was actually thinking of getting an ebay special and plugging that in but after reading everything I am now a little reluctant.

I will do some more reading/research and decide after that.

Thanks

Joe
00 156 V6 Monza
11 Mito Sport - Gone
79 Alfetta GTV - Gone
76 Alfetta GT - Gone

agent86

Joe
     To save any hassles with the law, ADR's and Rwc there are some very good plus 100+ globes on the market. Philips plus 100 are my choice and Narva now do a plus 120 in H4 and H7. Other types to come. These are legal, easy to fit, use the same power, don't run any hotter, no need for relays etc. Not quite as bright as HID's but far less hassle. And unless you are crossing the Simpson Desert at night these are more than adequate.
Cheers Agent 86
Current Alfa's/etc
1998 GTV 3.0 V6 Tropical Green
2003 BMW 320i Touring
Priors
1974 Piper Yellow Berlina 2000 
1970 Red Berlina 1750 won best Alfa sedan at 2007 Auto Italia ACT
1968 Burgundy Berlina Mk1
1970 Navy Berlina
1970 White Berlina
1968 White Berlina Mk1 full Webasto roof

Mat Francis

Quote from: agent86 on June 17, 2012, 05:12:26 PM
Joe
     To save any hassles with the law, ADR's and Rwc there are some very good plus 100+ globes on the market. Philips plus 100 are my choice and Narva now do a plus 120 in H4 and H7. Other types to come. These are legal, easy to fit, use the same power, don't run any hotter, no need for relays etc. Not quite as bright as HID's but far less hassle. And unless you are crossing the Simpson Desert at night these are more than adequate.
Cheers Agent 86

I assume that 100+ refers to 100W?

I completely agree that this is a much better solution in terms of legalities, however if you are adding higher wattage globes, they do in fact draw more current, and I think adding a relay is a must if this is the case.

Even the standard high beams in the alfetta really need a relay to get the best out of them, adding higher wattage globes without a relay is just asking for trouble.
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Darryl

Quote from: Mat Francis on June 17, 2012, 09:52:20 PM

I assume that 100+ refers to 100W?

I completely agree that this is a much better solution in terms of legalities, however if you are adding higher wattage globes, they do in fact draw more current, and I think adding a relay is a must if this is the case.

Even the standard high beams in the alfetta really need a relay to get the best out of them, adding higher wattage globes without a relay is just asking for trouble.

The plus 100 is still a 55watt bulb its 100% more light (ie twice as much) for the same wattage when compared to std halogen bulb. That is, they are more efficient.

But you make a good point regardless - it is well worth running a direct (with a fuse!) connection via relay to the headlights (and check the ground connection is solid as well). Halogen bulb light output is approximately equal to V^3 so if you are eg losing 2v through crappy wiring and switches so say 12v to the bulb but your alternator is putting out 14v (I'm using round numbers) then you can get a (2744-1728)/1728 =  almost 60% increase in light output by fixing your wiring! That gain plus plus 100 bulbs... priceless (and legal)...

Mat Francis

Thanks for clearing that up Darryl, excellent to know.

I actually just found someone has already put relays in the 90, which made me very happy. One less thing to do on what seems to be an ever increasing list of things!
'83 Alfetta Sedan TS
'88 75 3.0
'85 Land Rover County
'87 Land Rover Perentie

Cool Jesus

Its amazing how long we put up with the ordinary and try the extreme, when we always had the ability and equipement to begin with.

I have been searching religiously  ;D, scuse the pun, for a pic on a revised set up. Thanks Paul.
Present:
* '76 Alfetta GTAm 2.0 (project)
* '03 147 2.0 TS
*'12 159 Ti 1750 TBi
===================
Past:
* '10 159 2.2 JTS
* '89 164 3.0
* '98 Spider 2.0 TS