Shannon's Insurance - not happy!

Started by Joe Garra, March 27, 2012, 11:53:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony8028

I tried to insure my 147 through Shannon's and they wouldnt touch it.

Said that it was only for enthusiasts.....they asked me all these questions about what car magazines i buy, what car clubs i belong to.

I am exactly the sort of driver they want - i wont even take my car out in the rain.

Frankly they can go F themselves, they'll never see any of my money.
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164
Currently driving 2004 147 Manual

Davidm1600

That is such a strange outcome to hear of. Both my 156 and the Miissus '97 beemer are insured with Shannon's, ditto two of our house are as well. Sure I also have my classics insured with them and yes I belpng to a car club, but as to the rest what you say, nope not a problem there-no such questions asked, nor have I heard of such a thing happening. Most of the guys in the club here are insured with them. It makes sense, as you get a discount for each item insured plus on belonging to a club. Reckon you must have spoken to a dud rep.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Fast Eddie

Likewise, have had several Alfa new and old, original and well 'modified' insured with them alongside the 'other' cars including an Astra and the current Mazda 6 plus until recently house & contents insurance.

They even covered a rear window replacement in the Astra (due to some gruddged up nuff nuff throwing a brick through it), even after finding out the wrong car had been accidentally removed from my policy some months before hand.

The car club and CAMS membership discounts to the premium were a nice touch too.

Always been happy with no issues as to the 'any type of vehicle' they cover these days, so not insuring a 147 is quite odd unless it was an age thing.
Now -
nuffin
Then -
76 Sud L 1.3
85 33 1.5
00 156 Selespeed
77 Alfetta GTV - Group S project - "yellow peril"
86 SudSprint 1.5 - clubsprint car
77 Alfetta GTV - Tarmac rally/Group S
03 156GTA 3.2 manual
80 Alfetta GTV
07 166 -3.0 Ti.
86 GTV6

tony8028

Quote from: Fast Eddie on April 05, 2012, 03:42:38 PM

Always been happy with no issues as to the 'any type of vehicle' they cover these days, so not insuring a 147 is quite odd unless it was an age thing.

yes I found it quite bizarre....the guy just casually started asking me what car magazines i read and whether i go to swap meets etc....friggin un believable...

I stand corrected though....this was when i was trying to insure my 1988 Alfa 75(time flies)....not the 147....still, doesnt make sense though.

Yeah maybe I just ended up speaking to a knob, but I was never keen to try them again. I go through AAMI now.....as good or bad as any.
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164

dehne

had a similar one when i tried to insure my 90 and 156 they asked me all these question about mags and stuff, said we only insure enthuists, and I said well they are Alfa's what more do you need, said no, then I said ohh hang on I race an as well, then it was Welcome ofcourese we can insure you. Got the 90 done for $6000 there price too, very happy with that one.
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

tony8028

Quote from: dehne on April 05, 2012, 06:13:39 PM
had a similar one when i tried to insure my 90 and 156 they asked me all these question about mags and stuff, said we only insure enthuists

ah so i'm not going mad.....yeah thats exactly what they put me through.....you feel like saying 'do you really think i'd drive an alfa 75 and not be a somewhat enthusiast?

(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164

Joe Garra

Very bizarre, but I supposed I joined many years ago and wasn't asked those questions. BTW repairs have started on my front bumper, hopefully back by Friday next week. In the meantime I'm driving my late father's lime green HQ Premier.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

colcol

I insured my 156 with Shannons, they asked me all sorts of Questions such as have i ever restored a car, [yes], car club member, [yes], done a defensive driving course, [yes], just to see if i was a car nut or someone after a better price, my brother had no trouble insuring his 147 with them, he rang them for a quote, and they were cheaper than AAMI!, and they sponsor 'Classic Restos' on channel 44 with 'Fletch', sponsor the motor racing on the teeve, their profits being wasted on good things i like, Joe, my god a HQ, i remember the one i had about a million years ago, the handling was understeer with more understeer, with severe understeer thrown in, and the recirculating ball steering so vague, you break into a sweat trying to keep it going straight.....better than public transport though, when you get your Alfa back, you will love it a little bit more, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

1750GT

I've been insuring three classics with Shannons for a number of years. I think all of the above issues mentioned are correct depending on when you had the experience, shannons have over time changed their stance on a number of things.

They used to only insure classics and used to ask all the questions etc. and only issure you if you were an 'enthusiast" (proven of course by your answers to the million and one questions). Over the years however they have become a lot more relaxed and now insure all of your cars (dailey drives) not just your classics. Their current add campaign is really pushing this, along with home insurance, discounts for multiple vehicles taken with home insurance etc.

One thing that hasn't changed is that they don't insure if the cars not garaged, I have tried to insure some family vehicles that aren't garaged and on the street and after telling the truth (I can't garage the veichcle) they have refused to insure. How they police this I am not sure but thats their stock policy unless its changed recently?

I am certainly surpirsed by the choice of repairer thing, however I understand that they have recently become part of the AAMI group and this is stock AAMI policy. However there is a way around it as I have the "street parked cars" insured with AAMI.

If we have had an issue with these cars I get two quotes (ensuring that one quote or both are from AAMI approved repairers - the good ones) and then book an appointment for an assesser to go thru the quotes and accept my preferred quote rather than them shipping the car to an assessment center and you then have no control of the repairer who fixes your car or the quality. It takes a little more time to do but its worth it, you get to talk to the repairer, you know whether they are quoting new or second hand parts etc. and you have much more control on how your vehicle is repaired and who repairs it.

I got this method from a beaut AAMI employee some years ago (as AAMI wont tell you) when I had a problem with a bad repair after my car was towed to the assessment center. it works every time (and your entitled to get your own quotes - minimum two and book an inspection), I have even had my BMW repaired by BM Melbourne after getting my own quotes and insisitng that given that it was a prestige vehicle that it should be reqired by BM Melbourne spray shop rather than a non BMW repairer.

The benefits of your own repairer especially for classics is significant, hopefully Shannons is not going down the path of not providing choice of repairer. be interested to hear from anyone who has experinced this recently as I would consider changing to another insurer if this was the case.

1750GT

massiveluvbuddy67

I swapped to Lumleys for my older cars. Very happy with price and when I came to claim (2600 had a scrape...ouch), Lumleys were brilliant.

Davidm1600

That is strange 1750GT, as both my 156 and the missus Beemer are not garaged nor ever have been. I don't have a garage, but they are parked on our driveway. Ditto my Super is under wraps on the driveway and I havn't had a problem with insuring any of them.  My other classics are in a lockup garage I rent on the other side of the city.  I just got my re-newal notice from them, the choice of repairer entitlement is still listed as part of what they offer.  I needed this last year when I damaged the 156, no dramas there.

As to all the things about questions, perhaps the Shannon's rep here is very relaxed as I have never had to answer any sort of questions about my enthusiasm for classics etc. Insuring through them couldn't have been simpler.  They were perfectly happy to accept my valuation on my cars, and that hasn't changed.  Interestingly my '03 156 Sportwagon is listed as having an agreed valuation of $14,400 which I am sure is above it's market value. So I am happy.  ;D
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Joe Garra

Car all fixed. While it was there I had the side skirts repainted at my expense so all the plastic now matches. After initial dramas, all good with Shannon's. I'm happy to recommend them again.
Now: 164Q
        Giulietta QV
Before : 75
            33 16V
            Sud Ti
            99 Spider
            156 Wagon
            159 Wagon

tony8028

Quote from: Joe Garra on April 17, 2012, 10:01:38 PM
I'm happy to recommend them again.

Its not us you have to convince, its the sales person at the Shannon's end who wants to know how many copies of Unique Cars we purchase a year and have how often to we shammy our mudflaps !
(past cars)
1988 Alfa 33 ti
1990 Alfa 33 ie
1992 Alfa 75 TS
1988 Alfa 75 TS
1990 Alfa 164

TFJ100

Note for Tony re your comments about Shannon's and AAMI - see this Wikipedia link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suncorp_Group

"Suncorp also owns the AAMI, Apia, Just Car Insurance, Shannons, InsureMyRide, Vero, Terri Scheer, Bingle, CIL, Asteron and Tyndall insurance brands in Australia"

Torben
Now -
2018 Giulia QV, Vesuvio Grey

Then -
10 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - black
08 159 3.2 JTS Ti 6sp manual - silver
10 159 1.7T 6 sp man - red
03 156 GTA - black
01 GTV V6 (6 spd) - red
86 Sprint - white
90 75 Twinspark - red
89 75 Twinspark - red