Opinions on this Giulia please

Started by Craig_m67, October 18, 2013, 03:39:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

I would agree it is a 1300 TI, but a PO has made the various changes that is all.  I don't actually have a problem with this though.  But of course I am not parting with any $, as I don't have any spare.  ;D  ;D  Who knows perhaps the trim on the car was in poor condition, or perhaps he liked the look of the Super ?

My brothers 1300 TI has the same type of grill and 4 headlight setup and a bigger engine and from memory is either a '69 or '70 model.

My own '69 Giulia Super has the full interior of an early Super, (or will do when fitted), but with an early 1600 engine, and all going well a range of other minor changes to suit my tastes.  My point simply being don't necessarily judge the car on its asking price or some changed trim.

To me, it really depends on what the condition of the body is (ie. good or rubbish with nice shiny paint), and the state of the mechanicals.

The owner has openly said on another forum that he is simply flipping it, but given the price reduction I doubt he is going to make any real profit, so perhaps he simply is not a Giulia Sedan fan and/or knowledgeable of them.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Barry Edmunds

Derek, I accept that this is a 1300 Ti but the four headlights/five bar grille is still the odd thing out. Barry

AikenDrum105

Possibly it's had a smack up the front end - the front bumper and grille are from an earlier car.   Rear bumper is the later type.

Bit of ordinary overspray in the engine-bay (see steering idler / brake lines under booster)    But of course, anyone who's seen my car up close knows I shouldn't point the finger at anyone over bodywork issues  ..... ;)

Also seems to have the dual brake circuit fluid reservoir,  but one brake circuit (at least only one booster)  and no clutch reservoir  -   Anyone know if Alfa shared the clutch / brake reservoir that way ?  (parading my ignorance here)

Re the number of headlights - in Derek's super Super Differences thread on the alfabb - Roland (of some reknown in Super circles) spake thusly:

All 1600 models are having double headlights exept the Ti-Super, all the 1300 models are having single headlights until mid 72
1300 Super of 70 until 72 also had singleheadlights and the smal taillights, the letters on the trunk are the square type letters like the TI
the last 1300 Supers from 72> had double headlights and the big taillights and the letters on the trunk are the curly model ones, the last 1300 Supers are unificato with the 1600 versions but stil are having a 1300 engine with hanging oilfilter, this changes with the introduction of the Nuova models

So If you see a 1300 Super older than 72 or a 1300 Ti with double headlights then it is updated

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/sedan-1962-1977/27397-super-differences-2.html#post233604

Everyone's entitled to my ignorance  opinion  ;)
Scott
'66 Giulia Super 105.28.720988 TS+MS3+ITB+COP
'65 Giulia Sprint GT 105.04.753710
'04 156 JTS Sportwagon

Earlier follies...
'66 Duetto 105.05.710057
'85 GTV6
'71 1750 GTV

ItalCarGuy

The bit that irks me on this car is that they kept the single Solex even though they changed it to a Super engine. Question for those with later cars (ie later than mine) when did the battery tray change from the stamped metal one to the plastic type? This one has the metal tray and I thought they were plastic by 69.

I still reckon it could be a good deal if you can get naked photos of it from when it was repainted to see what issues were addressed and how.

Barry Edmunds

Checking the recent/past history of this car would probably involve talking to all PO's to ascertain who did what and when. I agree that it could be a good buy, once the inevitable questions were answered. Looks to be a more realistic prospect that others of late. Barry

Davidm1600

That too was my thinking Barry.  Hopefully it goes to a good home.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

THEG105

i currently own the guilia  >:( >:(

I am not happy about showing my chassis # and engine # on this public forum
the car has not been smashed of the front end like all old cars they all need tinkering what alfa has not been repaired in some way or modified to suit prevoius owners taste ,cant find a org grille etc etc 1600 cc motor is a better choice i bought this on impulse but have since been offered a 1750 gtv so one has to go and the guilia won the toss
the guilia is in good cond and looks the part

GTV-074

Whats the issue with the chassis # ?

Its there for all to see in the Just Cars ad ......

Anyway, now we have your attention, tell us more about the condition of the car?

The obvious question is the 'R' word. We can see its been modified for whatever reason in the past and could be a great purchase if the body is OK or
won't need too much fettling.

It has to do more than, 'look the part' for buyers.

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

ItalCarGuy

I removed my reference to your chassis number from this thread. But yes, I don't understand why chassis numbers are so secret. I think any car for sale should list this. Just as your engine number reveals that you have a 1600 engine in the car but all your ads say that it is a 1300.
Many of us still like your car but the more detailed information about it the better for you to be able to sell it, and for the potential buyer to know what they are getting.

Davidm1600

Quote from: THEG105 on October 22, 2013, 08:02:08 AM

I am not happy about showing my chassis # and engine # on this public forum
the car has not been smashed of the front end like all old cars they all need tinkering what alfa has not been repaired in some way or modified to suit prevoius owners taste ,cant find a org grille etc etc 1600 cc motor is a better choice i bought this on impulse but have since been offered a 1750 gtv so one has to go and the guilia won the toss
the guilia is in good cond and looks the part

I can well understand you might feel unduly criticised re your Giulia, hence I would hope you read from my postings positive comment.  As I said, if I had the $$ this is one Giulia that would definitely be on my shopping list.  I thought it looked like a nice condition car, just with some changes to trim which as I noted didn't concern me, if anything made it more attractive in my eyes.

If you want to change grills, I can certainly supply a later series Giulia Super grill  ;D, but truthfully I suspect you wouldn't be interested, especially given the new direction you wish to pursue. 

All the best with the sale of this Giulia.
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Craig_m67

Quote from: THEG105 on October 22, 2013, 08:02:08 AM

Hi Tony,

Glad you found the thread.  Thanks for the hi res photos from your original ad. As discussed in our emails,  I would really like to see some additional photos of the locations that rust predominantly forms on these cars and underneath (at the very least) so I can make better decision about having the car inspected by the RAA and then purchase.

Without any information like this it's impossible for me to estimate how much bodywork the car might require for roadworthy and ultimately it's actual value - hence my firm $offer this evening.  More than happy to negotiate with you, however ultimately I need your buy in to help establish condition.

I'm more than happy to travel for the right car although in this case I would likely have it transported (straight to Scott for a TS) :)

Craig McLeod
'66 Duetto (lacework of doom)
'73 1600 GT Junior (ensconced)
'03 156 1.9JTD Sportwagon (daily driver)

Barry Edmunds

THEG105, Your car has been on the Giulia Super Register, as a 1969 1300 Ti for near 20 years, and the two different adverts for the car, one for a Giulia 1300 Ti and one for a Giulia, included the chassis number. Some jurisdictions actually require chassis and engine numbers to be included in such advertisements.
Perhaps some of the confusion about the car and the numerous postings on this forum with queries could have been cleared up had the queries about the model, the 4 headlights and the one piece grille and other items been answered or explained earlier.
I certainly hope the car goes to a good home as, on the photo evidence so far, it looks to be a good car for the right buyer. Hopefully the new owner will forward relevant details on to me to update the Register. Barry 0405 383 431 or giulia105@optusnet.com.au

THEG105