Hello all...potential alfa owner from WA

Started by vivioman, November 08, 2011, 01:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vivioman

Hello all,

My interest in these cars has been reignited and I'm currently looking for an alfa as a project.

The only Italian car I've owned many years ago was a Fiat 124BC, which was a favourite of mine..full of character and rust!

I hope to find an alfa soon in WA!

Cheers

MD

Welcome to the Forum. Always a good idea to contact the local Alfa Club for advice and sources of cars.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

GTV-074

Hey welcome to the forume and the world of Alfa Romeo!

My best mate has a 124BC and they are a nice car in their own right - different in character to an Alfa though.

Sounds like you might be looking at the 105 series?  or a nicely sorted Alfetta (coupe or sedan) or a 75 would be good.

What Alfas are you leaning towards/thinking about? Budget?

Throw some models up and the forum members will give you some "feedback" good or bad!

Good Luck,

Cheers.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: GTV-074 on November 10, 2011, 09:16:30 AM
My best mate has a 124BC and they are a nice car in their own right - different in character to an Alfa though.

In what way?

GTV-074

Sheldon,

My mate has had his almost from new and I really like the BC. I think it looks the best (IMO) of the 3 124 coupe models.

I don't want this thread to go off course, but I believe the 124 coupes can be made to go as hard as a 105 (in basic form) and IMO, probably
handle better straight out of the box. The twin cam engine is a Lampredi gem and will rev its proverbial t*ts off.....

my mates used to run a 124 AC back in the 80's at MSCA days and I was lucky enough to drive it a few times. Ran a slightly warm 1800 with head work etc. and it was a hoot on slicks around the tracks. With a bit more serious development could have been a real weapon.

Having said that, I think the Alfas are far better 'engineered' than the Fiats. Alfas have a  more robust diff, Fiats have a panhard rod holding it all in place (although the trailing arm mounts have been known to crack where they mount under the rear seat).

You can have a 1400, 1600, 1800, 2000cc engine and each is a little different (not unlike the Alfas).

The 1600 BC had twin downdraught Weber carbs as standard (BC also had came with a 1400cc).

I just think they are a little under rated sometimes.... (rust, reliability, parts etc are all "equal" !!)

Anyway..back to Alfas...

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Sheldon McIntosh

Thanks for that Paul.

I was just curious as to what they're like, I figured they must be pretty good considering the prices they command. 

Cheers
Sheldon

Sorry vivioman for hijacking the thread, but let us know how you go, and/or what your plans are.

Martyn

Hi Vivioman
Welcome.
Send me a PM I have a host of alfa projects you may be interested in.
I Live in WA near Bunbury
Regards
Martyn
Martyn Piercey
105 GTV (building for Nc)
Alfetta GT
76 Spider(in bits)
GTV 2000
1300 GT Junior
147 Selespeed(sold)
Sc Alfetta GTV (sold)