alfetta GTV - water pump belt size

Started by kartone, September 04, 2011, 03:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kartone

Does anyone know the correct belt size & type for the water pump ?
Many thanks.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

The correct vee belt size for an Alfetta is the one that fits it properly and goes on easily and doesn't slip, sorry about the smarty pants answer, but like Alfas of all descriptions they vary over the years and i don't want to give you a bum steer, a mechanic showed me years ago a good starting point is to get a too large belt and wrap it round where its got to go and put a mark on it and then go down to Repco and get the closest, and ask if you can bring it back if it doesn't fit, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

Neil Choi

Hello there,

Just did the job last weekend, the v-belt is 11 mm wide but like Colin said, the length can vary a bit, I am guessing it is 825-835 mm long.  As I changed my alternator pulley size, the length changed.

Repco sells them in varying lengths, Gates brand.  Get a couple and return the one not right, as Colin mentioned.

Neil

kartone

Thanks Colin & Neil. As is I currently have installed a Gates 11x825 outside cogged, it just seems too narrow compared to the original alfa alternator pulley throat.
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV

colcol

And also on high mileage cars the pulleys can wear out and the pulley is too wide for the belt, and the belt bottoms in the pulley, and therefor you need a belt with a smaller diameter, and why is the one you recommended doesn't fit, and to be picky there are vee belts, M belts and A belts and lots more that i don't know about, buying a new belt seems to always take up half a Saturday, thats why i love serpentine belts, they always seem to fit and do the job, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

kartone

The pulleys are in good condition: flat, even sides and no dents. The current 11x825, outside cogged, V belt seems to have a cross-section that is too tappered resulting in a limited contact surface between the belt sides and pulley throat surface
82 GTV6 split-dash
80 Alfetta GTV