What 147 twin spark motors to avoid

Started by colcol, June 20, 2011, 10:10:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bix

Thanks for the tip Colin. Unfortunately when I try something fancy like that, I find my legs suffering dyslexia - therefore technology is key!

colcol

I have size 12 shoes, i can hit all 3 pedals at once with 1 shoe, i want to build a brake pedal like the miniture aussie legends have, as on the motor racing on c 73 at Ipswitch, the master cylinder is behind the steering column, and the pedal extends out to the right for perfect heeling and toeing, and there is an extension out to the left for perfect left foot braking, the 156 is not as easy to heel\toe and left foot brake as a Alfasud or 33, so you will need to practice a bit, but the 156 doesn't have gear crunching synchro issues like Suds and 33's, so with the 156 you get lazy, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

I find the 156 and 147 pretty tricky to heel and toe. The accelerator is quite a distance away from the brake and is a lot lower than the brake pad. Still practising but is much more difficult than a 105.

colcol

You may need to do some pedal work, i did on my 33 about 25 years ago, and it works great, because with Alfasuds and 33's if you don't heel and toe, then you WILL crunch 2nd gear, with the 156, its a different story, the synchros are so strong and long lasting, heeling and toeing is an option, but consider bending the accelerator and brake pedal closer together, or maybe some of those 'racing' pedals off ebay, which means you could 'adjust' the position of the pedal, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]