What spark plugs and gap for 75 3.0?

Started by shiny_car, May 04, 2011, 11:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shiny_car

I'm a little confused about what spark plugs are suitable for the 75 3.0 L-Jet. On alfabb.com, where most of the cars are US-spec and I don't think all have cats, they recommend NGK BP7ES. '7' being the heat rating.

Now I've read elsewhere, that the cars with cats should use the hotter NGK BP6ES plugs (or equivalent from other brands). I don't know how Golden Lodge 2HL plugs compare.

As for the gap between electrodes, I've read 0.025" and 0.028" and even bigger.

Also, NGK offer versions with inbuilt resistors (eg: BPR6ES) to reduce EMI production. Is this recommended?

What do you guys advise? My car will be a 'street' car (ie: not run hard and hot like a track car), but run 164S cams, have a pod filter, and eventually run a CSC full exhaust (with cats fitted). I haven't checked what plugs are currently fitted - I'll try and do that tomorrow.

I prefer to stick with NGK because I've read good things about them, and are readily available and not expensive. However, I'm open to other brands.

Thanks. :)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Anthony Miller

Hi Shiny, I use bosch Platinum 4 plugs, no need to gap. WGR7DQP is the code. My car is totally standard L-jet and has resistors built into the leads. Pipes with shorter primaries are better suited to road use (IMHO) but this should probably be discussed in it's own thread.
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

shiny_car

Thanks Anthony. I've checked the Bosch data, and a Bosch heat rating of '7' equates to an NGK of '6', so that's reassuring.

:)

bteoh

I didn't have much luck with the Lodge 2HL on my 75 3.0 V6 motronic..... they started fouling up and I have since switched to NGK BP6ES. So far they have been running very well  :)

shiny_car

Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll go with NGK '6' rating plugs too, same as yours.

Richard