Caster bush replacement

Started by martym00se72, April 11, 2011, 11:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

martym00se72

Hi All,
I have heard/read somewhere in my travels through various forums that there is a hard way (which I am wishing to avoid if possible) and an easy way to replace the caster bushes that doesn't stuff up the wheel alignment. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Cheers
Marty
'83 GTV6 - 3.0 is in! Ohhh yeah!
'99 156 T-spark - Formula 98 ready!

What do people do with their old 2.5...?

Duk

If the caster arm is removable from the top control arm, ie: bolted to the top control arm (not riveted), then it is easy to unbolt the very front nylock nut on the caster arm (in the engine bay) and unbolt the caster arm rod from the top control arm.
Get it out of the wheel well, replace bushes and reinstall. All the while making sure not to turn the turn buckle that sets the length (and so caster angle).

Easy-peasy, japanesey  ;) (Or Easy-peasy, mozzarella-cheesy  ;D

scott.venables

I'd say that while replacing the bushes it is extremely unlikely that you will end up with the same alignment as you start with.  The bushes will be different to your replacements and probably to each other(side to side) How long is it since your car had a wheel alignment? 

Scott

PS, you almost certainly couldn't turn the 'turnbuckle' by accident

martym00se72

They went in as advertised! And Scott, you are totally right - my previous bushes looked like they may be originals - very crushed and mis-shaped. There was some wriggling, banging and a couple of expletives when I slipped getting the rods back on with the new bushes.  I also noted that the inside of the front tyres is scrubbing out a bit - wheel alignment definitely due... Oh for a job so I can pay for all the stuff that needs to be done... :(

Thanks for the tips guys!
Cheers
Marty

pep105

Hi Marty,
Did you replace with rubber or polyurethane bushes ?
Cheers
Pep
Current
'74 GT 1600 Junior  (Currently under restoration)
'84 Alfetta GCL Sedan
'02 Vespa ET4 150
'05 GT 3.2
Past
'82 Fiat 131 Superbrava Mk II
'82 Alfetta GTV 2.0
'88 75 Twinspark
'80 Alfetta Sedan
'02 147 Twinspark

martym00se72

Hi Pep,
at this point rubber because I already had a set in hand (thanks Centreline for stuffing me around...  >:( wanted poly but they charged for and gave me rubber and couldn't be buggered arguing after the hassle I had with getting my Koni's from them..) but down the road will probably look at the 105 ball joint solution to sharpen things up a bit, however there is plenty of water to go under the bridge before I get to that point. I still expect that the new rubber will improve things as the old ones were totally shot.
Cheers
Marty

scott.venables

Glad to hear it wasn't too much trouble!  I probably should have said that while they are out it's a great time to free them up so the wheel alignment guys aren't cursing 'bloody rusty Alfas'.  Freeing mine up required a vise and a really long lever.

Cheers, Scott