Some 156 problems

Started by ALFA156DALE, April 15, 2011, 11:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALFA156DALE

Hi guys havn't been on here for quiet a while, I have a few problems with Alfa that Iam hoping you guys might be able to help me with:

1. Low pitch horn not working (HIGH PITCH HORN IS WORKING.)
2. Injecter/engine Light is on and off and on and off
3. Catalytic converter rattles, I think its buggered (I SUSPECT 2 & 3 MAYBE RELATED, WITH THE CAT SENSOR.)
4. Air intake hose has a crack in it (TEMPORARY TAPE AROUND IT.)

Iam wondering whether anyone can point me in the right direction for parts/&opinions on why the problems are there.

Iam after the air intake hose that connects directly to the throttle body on a 99' 156 V6
and a catalytic converter for also the same Alfa, as i suspect these are the main causes
of the injecter/engine light coming on and off

and maybe a low horn too, but that is only a minor problem.

Thanks
Dale

-------------------------------
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202

colcol

Hello Dale, I think that you are right, the rattling cat convertor means that something is broken inside as this is a non repairable item, you are going to need a new one which will be expensive or get a good secondhand cat from one of the Alfa wreckers have a look in the sponsors list, on the forum, BUT get some qoutes for a new cat as the prices of these items are coming down now that the 156 is getting quite old now, if a new one is not too expensive, i would go for that as a second hand one may fail within a few weeks of putting it in, as for your light coming up, replace the cat first and see what happens then, it could be a Lambda sensor in the exhaust, these should be replaced between every 60 -100 thousand klms, depending on who you talk to, with some expensive makes, Lambda sensors are replaced during a service,as for the easy one, the horn, this is an essential item in any Italian car to move the Toyota drivers out of the way doing 20 kays under the speed limit, use a test light and see if the horn is actually getting power, if it is the horn is dead, as they don't last forever, a second hand one may work, but for how long?, the price of a new horn is ridiculously cheap, see what Repco has them for, i purchased 2 new ITALIAN FIAAM horns that were exactly the same as genuine Alfa ones at K-Mart, about 10 years ago for $25 for the 33, some quirk with horns is that if one won't work, then the other one stops as well, as for the broken air intake pipe try a Alfa wrecker as these don't tend to wear out but sometimes get broken during a service, i would hate to think what a new one would be worth!, there will be a 932 series workshop technical night on Friday 27th May at Maranello Pur Sang Motors, if you wish to book email drtool@bigpond.com.au or phone 0407 090 826, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

shiny_car

The Italian Job in Oakleigh will definitely have those parts, so give them a call or drop by.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

ALFA156DALE

Thanks guys for the quick and great advice, Colin you are correct you do need a horn, since i havn't had one i have needed it many of times. I will give some of the sponsers and wreckers a ring. I would love to go to the workshop but unfortunantely iam working friday and saturday until 5pm and i live 4 hours away from melbourne.
thanks Dale
Alfa 156 2.5ltr V6
Land Rover TDI 300
Holden Kingswood 202