156 rear wheel conversion

Started by dehne, March 14, 2011, 11:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dehne

just track work, more just for fun, if everything is put together right i dont see why it would not be classed as a 2ltr modified, or super modified, but plan is to keep costs as low as possible and just have fun, if i can get the 156 cheaply that should be the major costs, every thing else ill give it a crack my self and if need be trade a few beers here and there
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

redalfaracing

OK, so you need to ask yourself, will the work you do make the car competitive in under 2l modified or super modified? Not knowing what a modified or super modified is all about, but i'm guessing they are way faster than the standard setup package.
Kevin Mackerell put a big block chev with a 4wd setup into a 260z. Used it in hillclimbs and autocross. always won outright, by a fair margin, so it was worth the effort. Honestly, the ground shook as it sat at the start line, then it just disappeared without even a wheelspin. Had to put an auto into it as he couldn't get a manual to handle the horsepower. I have video somewhere of it at Kyneton, i will try to find it.
To do what you are talking about probably will take as much work, will it be as potent a beast?
Greg Wyatt

'79 Alfetta PRC
'83 GTV6 3.0L 24v CRC Project
'83 GTV6 restoration project

Evan Bottcher

Maybe you could oxy-weld two V6 blocks together and make a V12?  Mount it where the 156 firewall sits, like a sports sedan - low and well behind the front wheels.  Just need a crank, right?  Surely something will fit.

That pesky engine management and injectors stuff is over-rated.  Put it on carbs!
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Evan Bottcher

Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Darryl

Quote from: Choderboy on March 26, 2011, 07:04:39 AM
I know you're asking the same question I am...

What - where's Popeye (who you need to pull start 24 chainsaws)? Or some more fundamental 3 letter question?

branko.gt

why not?
It makes a world much more interesting place. Imagine a world where everything is sensible ....

And I know you are jealous because some people are born like that and do not need to take drugs .....   :P

Jekyll and Hyde

Yes, it would still sound better than a Harley....  ;D

dehne

this was freddie's pride and joy he used it in all him movies
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

MD

Quote...who you need to pull start 24 chainsaw....

You must have heard of sequential firing?
This guy has it sorted. After you start the first one..the rest start by themselves  ;D ;D

..and after you're done doing the donuts, you can always do your grandma's lawns and shrubs. It's  killer concept. 8) 8)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

OzMidnight

Quote from: Jekyll and Hyde on March 15, 2011, 07:52:59 PM
Quote from: aggie57 on March 15, 2011, 09:21:00 AM
What about a mid-engine project?  Like a Beta spyder or X1/9?  Shouldn't be too hard.

If I had the time and money to waste on that, I'd start with a '98 on GTV6, take the engine out of the front and plonk it complete where the back 'seats' are...  Driveshafts etc are all to the back of the motor, so all the engine/gearbox weight would be forward of the rear wheels.  Yeah, I definitely haven't amused myself with that thought before... and it just so happens, 'er indoors has an appropriate base vehicle...  Reckon I'd survive the fallout?

I reckon you'd end up with a neat little chrome-plated set of dangly ornaments to hang from the rear-view mirror of said vehicle...only trouble is they'd likely be your own!  I tend to like alternate thinking, though!  Folks doing rear-engined Minis adopt much the same approach.