156 Slight front end knock

Started by Tas156, February 25, 2011, 11:49:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tas156

Gday Guys,

Just a quick question regarding the 156, mine has ggot a very slight hollow knock in the front end mainly when when the car is cold (yeah I know engine temp should and doesnt have anything to do with it).

Over the years I've had simular noises in Peugeots and have always pretty well found it to be sway bar links. Before i dive in and replace them on the 156 does anyone have any other thoughts?

Cheers
Ben

Davidm1600

Ben

Without specifically knowing what the problem might be, from what I have read, such noises possibly could be attributed to worn rubber bushings either associated with the front sway bar, and/or alternatively on the upper/lower control arms.  Rest assured mine too has this, and while I plan to do something about it, I havn't too date and it hasn't affected how the car performs. 

I have had Steve previously look at my front end and he was pretty happy with the state of affairs, advising he couldnt find any play anywhere. 

As to the cost of said items, I am sure it will be important to shop around, and possibly even via the UK off ebay.  Alternatively have a chat to Monty at Vinaku in Moonah.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Brad M

Quote from: Davidm1750 on February 25, 2011, 12:29:50 PM
possibly could be attributed to worn rubber bushings either associated with the front sway bar

Dave is onto something there both my 147's needed sway bar rubber's replaced, and the noise did seem to be louder when cold.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

ANG156

My 156 had a similar problem and it was the lower control arm bushes. Apparently a common problem on the 156. Wasn't worth buying the bushes on its own (i think you need 3 @ $70 ea) so i bought all new arms and got the job done by my mechanic. Ebay is cheap but shipping kills you. If your buying two new arms then a supplier should help you out on the price.

MOSTRO

99% sure it'll be the Lower Control Arms (as suggested).  Very common problem with 156's (in fact almost 100% problem with the nose heavy V6's such as GTA's and GT's).