Alfa 75 Dashboard Clock/Computer - so what's the story ?

Started by Mark Baigent, February 01, 2011, 10:39:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Baigent

Given the number of devoted 75 owners out there and the number of 'on again - off again' dashboard clock computers that sit in front of every driver has anyone come up with a once and for all solution to their intermittent operation ?

ARQ164 Shane

Hi Neighbour,
1973 L beetle "Tilly" sold
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Mark Baigent

Gosh Thanks Alphie 75 ! It's amazing how someone out there always has a solution for every problem we face! Alfa BB is a great resource.
I'll try the voltage regulator adjustment and see what affect it has ....

The interesting twist to my story is that the red system warning lights in my car are reliable 95% of the time and have very rare multi flashing episodes.
It's actually the clock/trip computer display which gives the trouble - sometimes it's just a blank screen, other times its hieroglyphics and other times everything displays and runs perfectly. The red lights are never affected if the clock goes on the blink.

Are you or anyone else familiar with this particular scenario ? Cheers MARK   

ARQ164 Shane

yes a mate has a alfa90 you should have 2 plugs a 3pin and a thin plug that is the trip.
I am getting one from the USA sent to me.I also have a wiring diagram if you need it.
pm me any time.hope that helps
Hi Neighbour,
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

Anthony Miller

I know this isn't really a fix but I put my navman in it's mount in the ashtray hence covering the ARC so I don't have to look at it any more, or you could apply some Nashua 357 Gaff Tape to acheive the same result ;D
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

Mark Baigent

A somewhat rudimentary but most practical resolution to the problem Anthony !

Never thought of that one but I think I'll will persist in trying to find a solution to making the clock reliable - seems I'm fortunate in that my red lights don't play up ... it's only the clock/trip computer display which is either on, off, or displaying a configuration that's impossible to decipher ... if I've got that problem someone else must have and hopefully may have found a way to resolve it .... wish me luck ! ...   

Evan Bottcher

I've never seen the trip computer, but there's a bit of a discussion on this thread about it:  http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1987-1989/11522-arc.html

This chap in Brisbane mentions he has a couple, perhaps he has a spare?  http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/353459-post73.html

There's also "Craig's Place" for the Alfa 75 manuals - perhaps the instruments manual covers the trip computer: http://www.users.on.net/~craigf/index.htm

Maybe someone knows if it's the same as the 90 trip computer?  I think that's what Alphie75 is saying above?

Good luck fixing it!

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Sheldon McIntosh

I can assume you've checked all connections?  Because it sounds like a loose connection.  Isn't it just an LCD display?  I can't imagine it would be worth fixing (or indeed fixable) if it was 'broken', they're probably $20 bucks at the wreckers.

If it's the same as the 90 they just pop out from memory, easy enough to check/tighten up the plugs.  If it is the same as the one in the 90 I've got a spare one around somewhere if you need one.

Evan Bottcher

Definitely covered in the manuals from Craig's Place.  Might help...
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

Mark Baigent

Thanks Evan, Sheldon, Alphie 75 ...

Yep - the details you have referred me to relate to what I have in my car.
Appears the Clock/Trip Computer only came on the 2.5l V6 Alfa 75's.
I don't remember there being a Trip Computer in the Potenziata I had some 10 yrs years ago (why did I sell it !!! ???)

My ARC has the following features:-

Stopwatch
Average fuel usage
Current fuel usage
Average speed
Fuel left in km
Outside temperature
and of course the time.

I'm thinking there are loose connections and a circuit board that may need some tidying up so I now have another little job for the weekend !
If that's not the solution then it may be time for an exchange part be it second hand or new .... thanks for the links and parts sources one and all ..
VERY much appreciated !!!  Milli Grazie .... MARK

Mark Baigent

OK - here it is in pieces - easy 15 minute job - the ARC worked perfectly before taking it apart and still does however I also managed to get the "lights on" display light and the hazard display light working so that made the disassembly it worthwhile.... the copper circuit contacts which connect to the in dash wiring were slightly oxidised creating an open circuit.!

As for the clock/computer - no luck - instead of working intermittently it now doesn't work at all and simply displays hieroglyphics permanently.
I found the contact strip which connects to the car wiring also partially oxidised but VERY gentle cleaning hasn't helped - back for a second go with an appropriate circuit enhancer spray. If that doesn't work then those with a Alfa 90 clock computer or genuine Alfa 75 clock computer will have a definite buyer !!! (Is the Alfa 90 clock computer exactly the same as the Alfa 75's ????)

ARQ164 Shane

what that lol If you would like I can photo copy the 75 manual book the clock is supposed to be a BORG clock with 3 buttons.
you must have the alfa 90 one?
Hi Neighbour,
87 QV 75 ALFA 2.5lt sold
92 auto 164 3lt RIP
91 white 164 Q
89 164 Q part car

ARQ164 Shane

I have got my trip meter from the john in the US
go to "adding pages" on this form
Hi Neighbour,