GTV 6 2.5 V6 running problems

Started by Nikola, January 09, 2011, 04:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikola

Guys don't argue,it is not worth it.
Still I need more ideas and people's opinions who had a same problem as me.Cheers.
1988. 75 3.0 V6 America-grey
1989. 75 3.0 V6 America-black
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black
1988. Milano Gold 2.5 V6 automatic-silver
1988. 33 1.3 Sportwagon-red

bt46

Somebody with a V6 powered alfa running the standard efi please do the following.

1 run car at idle
2 remove oil filler cap
3 take note of effect (if any which there will be none) on idle

argument solved

Nikola could the ecu be getting wet?

Typhoon90

There is an effect, care to come round here and observe? Why does every L jet workshop manual I've ever read also state this will happen?
Please explain with facts instead of sentiment. You are aware that L jet is very sensitive to unmetered air leaks yes? And that any crankcase leak will cause unmetered air to enter the induction system, throwing off the mixtures as the AFM has not allowed for the volume of this air?
If there's one thing I can't stand about forums, it's people with barely enough knowledge to misinterpret things they've read that were wrong on other forums, then running around, spreading it as gospel.
If you have nothing to contribute about the poor running issue, leave it alone for those with real world experience.

Regards, Andrew.

Quote from: bt46 on January 10, 2011, 06:49:41 PM
Somebody with a V6 powered alfa running the standard efi please do the following.

1 run car at idle
2 remove oil filler cap
3 take note of effect (if any which there will be none) on idle

argument solved

Nikola could the ecu be getting wet?

bt46

Why are you so angry?
Never effected any of my alfas?
There must have been something wrong with them? After all I know jack.

Evan Bottcher

Typhoon90: Have you considered anger management therapy?  Or steer clear of internet forums - they're full of dickheads (including me) and shit-stirrers (including me).
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

bt46

At this stage may i relate a little story about the one we call 'the instant expert'. It's a little off topic, however somewhat pertinent to the overall scheme of things.

Couple of weeks ago i had a gentleman come around and have a look at an italian car i have advertised for sale. Now it's a unique car and this person has two of them, so I guess he might know a thing or two. Anyway, the first thing he wanted to do before anything else was, of course, start the engine. Well apparently he could feel with his hand placed onto the plenum chamber that "this engine has no compression" and that he was sure there was an engine noise that indicated the 'inlet manifold had moved'. Suffice to say I was rather dumbfounded and a little lost for words at the time, but the point is ...... Well I have no point really. I just think it's an amusing anecdote; as a footnote to the original question of this thread.

Typhoon90

Quote from: Evan Bottcher on January 10, 2011, 08:54:25 PM
Typhoon90: Have you considered anger management therapy?  Or steer clear of internet forums - they're full of dickheads (including me) and shit-stirrers (including me).
Angry? Hang on. I don't like being called a liar. Please forgive me for throwing that back in someone's face. ::)
You know what? I couldn't give a shit. Sort out your own car's problems, what would I know? I'm not a forum troll, waiting to misquote and pick apart someone's posts or score cheap popularity points.
At least I don't live at home with mummy and daddy, like some of the forum tough guys here. :D

Nikola

Today is a nice sunny day and she worked fine.I think there is some loose contacts or humidity in some electric circuits.I think there is going to be a long search for this Gremlin.Arghhhhh.I will keep you guys posted.
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

Anthony Miller

Nikola, start with the plug leads, I tried all the connectors and everything to do with the ecu with no luck until I changed the plug leads. As the leads get older they get cracks in the insulation, most you can see, some you can't. When they are cracked they will track through the crack and earth out mostly to the engine itself but sometimes it might earth out to another cracked lead. This tracking is made worse by more moisture in the air ( rainy or humid days)
Now-  '99 156 2.5l V6 (rosso)
         '88 75 3.0l V6 (grigio)
Then- '81 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol whitey)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l transplant (ol brownie)
         '82 Giulietta 2.0l TS transplant (ol red)

shane wescott

Hi Nikola

I feel your pain. My GTV6 sits in the backyard bitter and twisted because I am now riding the Ducati.

I have a no fuel scenario which I will get to the bottom off eventually - but onto your problem. The only rough type issue I have had is a dodgy vacuum pipe which comes off and then stops the car idling.

Good luck.
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL
70 Blue Berlina 1750
70 White Berlina 1750

70 White Berlina 1750 (my first)

Current Bikes:

2002 Yellow Ducati ST2 944

Nikola

Today I started her again.But today in the morning was a heavy rain and after the rain stopped I started her and let her to get warmed.No problems at all.Unbelievable  ??? ??? ???.
I hope this saturday my mechanic and me are going to spare few hours time for her and to check few items.Hopefully.
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

wankski

Nikola,

Hope the gtv6 is still running well.

I am gravely embarrased by the forum, my apologies for that.

have you posted your issue at www.alfagtv6.com??

There is a fellow on there called Greg Gordon - he knows the L-jet as well as anyone...

Back in the day I built an L-jet replacement (the megasquirt EFi controller) to overcome the L-jet issues. At that time i had a heap more knowledge about it than I have retained now, sorry.

If anyone can point you in the right direction its Greg. He can also suppy you with all the hoses and piping in silicone to suit your gtv6. sales aside, he is a very nice guy and i'm sure will be happy to point you in the right direction - or at lest give you some useful clues.

You can also find him here: http://www.hiperformancestore.com/  (and lots of cool gtv6 stuff)

Best of luck!

Joe

Nikola

Quote from: wankski on January 12, 2011, 01:27:06 PM
Nikola,

Hope the gtv6 is still running well.

I am gravely embarrased by the forum, my apologies for that.

have you posted your issue at www.alfagtv6.com??

There is a fellow on there called Greg Gordon - he knows the L-jet as well as anyone...

Back in the day I built an L-jet replacement (the megasquirt EFi controller) to overcome the L-jet issues. At that time i had a heap more knowledge about it than I have retained now, sorry.

If anyone can point you in the right direction its Greg. He can also suppy you with all the hoses and piping in silicone to suit your gtv6. sales aside, he is a very nice guy and i'm sure will be happy to point you in the right direction - or at lest give you some useful clues.

You can also find him here: http://www.hiperformancestore.com/  (and lots of cool gtv6 stuff)

Best of luck!

Joe

No need to apologise Joe.Thank's for mentioning Greg Gordon.I allready contacted him once,of course because of L-Jet.
Hopefully somehow I will get there  ;).
1982. GTV 6 2.5 V6-black

shane wescott

Sounds like the GTV6 is flexing it's muscles and wants to go for a decent run.

You should drag it out by the ears and take it on the next club run so it gets to meet some new friends, and clears out some cobwebs.

The more you use them, the better they like it.

CAtch ya

Shane
Current Cars:

No Alfa's :-(

Previous Cars:
1991 White 164
86 White GTV6 Zender Body Kit
90 Red 75 TS
98 Blue GTV 2.0
85 Red 33 1.5 TI
85 Red 33 1.7 Carby
83 Silver 33 1.5 GCL