156 speaker upgrade

Started by flipch, November 10, 2010, 10:35:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flipch

Hey fewlish!

Thanks for the ideas and pics!   Your centre console looks great.   Did you do the refurb with the darker carbon-fibre look?   

My GTA is the standard silver, and I'm looking for a silver HU, or one with silver features.  There are some JVC models that might suit, but the prices from the UK on the Alpine CDE-114bti is good and around $A270 plus freight.   

Tony8028;  some are more fanatical than others  ;D   I am going the value for money path.   $60 sounds like a lot just to replace a door speaker if it is just a straight swap, not so bad if there is any complication in the fitting.  I thought the ones I bought would go straight in, but the magnets don't fit without some work.

But the best music in an ALfa is with the stereo off, listening to the music of the engine  :D
02 156 GTA Grigio Metallico
Hobart

shiny_car

The 147 requires removal of the door trims, so it takes a bit of time. $60 is ok, and relatively 'cheap'. I wouldn't expect any special fitment for that sort of money (ie: no custom cut mdf wood spacer rings). And I doubt they had any plans but to 'damage' the plastic plugs that clip over the bolts in the internal grab handle (the plugs need removing, but are easily damaged).

A 'proper' custom job of fitting speakers into a 147 would take at least an hour a door, so I would expect to pay around $150-250 for the job, depending upon other factors (sound deadener, position of tweeters, etc). Understandably, this is hardly worth it if you're only buying $100 speakers (or less). It only makes sense when you're fitting $300++ speakers.

:)
Giulietta QV TCT . 1.75 TBi . Magnesio Grey - Black
GT . 3.2 V6 . Q2 . Kyalami Black - Red
75 . 3.0 V6 . Alfa Red - Grey

Steve S

I have read through the thread with interest hoping to find some hands on info about the details of fitting the speakers. I have a 147. Are there any "bolt in" solutions for fitting a new set of front speakers, and rear for that matter. I assume some 6.5" components are the way to go. I have not even seen under the pannels yet but I have seen adapters available online, are they any good? I dont wish to glue anything together or get serious modifying the doors too much.

I am undecided what I want to do with the rest of the system but I can see the front speakers are most urgent.