156 2.0 JTS worn cam lobes after 60000ks

Started by smitti52, October 16, 2010, 04:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colcol

Has the 159 JTS got the correct oil in it?, the fully Synthetic oils that are quite thin are very important to keep the friction levels low in the engine, also check to see if the air cleaner element is not blocked, on a 932 series these are sometimes overlooked as you are advised to take your long service leave to change it! as it takes foreever to renew it, and the coolant thermostat, if these are staying open for too long the engine runs too cold and the engine managment system will run it too rich, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

wankski

oil would have to be pretty thick to have a significant effect on petrol mileage....

here's the short answer... its a 1.5T car.... stated figures are for dreamers only...

nothing wrong w/ bix's figures... 10l/100km to a best of ~7.5l/100 is pretty damn good for a car of its size (both engine and overall weight)...

what's wrong w/ the 932 air filter? on the v6 which is generally a nightmare, its pretty straightforward.... not as good as some sure, but obvious and do-able enuff... (doing it soon, watch me eat my words!!)   ;)

colcol

I don't know what the recomended oil is for the JTS GM based motor, but i am sure it would be a thin low friction synthetic oil to try and get the most out of a drop of fuel, as it is a relatively small motor pulling around a heavy car, that is the price you pay for 5 stars crash rating and roomy comfortable car with proper aircon, the air cleaner in the 932 series is a pain, as there is so much to remove out of the way to access it, when you have oversize hands like i do!, if you have a 2 litre remove and clean the spark plugs as you do the air cleaner as if it takes you 1 hour to replace the air cleaner and another 10 minutes to do the spark plugs it will make you feel good, a bit of sugar to go with an awfull job always helps, just hope that the screws holding the air cleaner housing are not seized up and you have to drill them out, also make sure you have an aircleaner 932 service kit consisting of DETTOL and BANDAIDES, Colin.
1974 VW Passat [ist car] 1984 Alfa 33TI [daily driver] 2002 Alfa 156 JTS [daily driver]

bix

The manual specifies SAE 5W-40, and recommends Selenia StAR (which will cost you a small artificial island off the coast of Dubai).

colcol

Have a look at some oil company websites and see what they advice, eg Mobil, Castrol, Penrite, Valvoline, and pick which one is the closest to what is recommended by Fiat\Alfa, look at the ratings and specs on the oil containers and decide which one you like best, if you cannot decide then go with Selena, which is owned by Fiat, in the old days with my 84 Alfa 33, Alfa didn't own any oil company's and the owners manual recommended AGIP, IP, [Italian Petroleum], Shell, Mobil and Arexions?, as long as it was a reputable brand and the right viscosity and rating use it!, the choice is yours, just make sure it doesn't void you r warranty, Colin.