Generator V/S Alternator

Started by boomerang147, October 06, 2010, 04:08:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

boomerang147

Hi Guys,

Having trouble with my generator not holding charge up to the battery. Is it worthwhile reconditioning the generator or will I swap to an alternator?
If going for an alternator, what type should I get? Will I get new or used...and how much should I pay?

Nick

ItalCarGuy

Cant comment on particulars, but if you are running the original air box with the crossover plenum beware of the size of the alternator. I had problems with the clearance of the 'snout' of the airbox passing the alternator. I'd love to also hear which less expensive alternators will fit well. If money is no issue I have seen generator housings with alternator guts.

MD

Guys the simple answer is to install an alternator. A generator and an alternator work in very different ways and they make very different output power.

Typically a generator at optimum revolutions will make around 35amps. An alternator will easily make twice that amount and hold a B+ voltage higher at idle than a generator will. With the sort of rubbish battery construction these days, the electrics live off the alternator and so it is important to have a good one. Any of the Jap brands or Bosch will do.

Visit an auto electrician who would best advise you which model will fit best. Eighty amp rated units should see you out with all your electrical loads.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Gary Pearce

Stick with the generator. 35 amps is more than enough for these cars and:
1) generators are easier and cheaper to repair.
2) they use less horsepower.
3) you won't need to change your wiring around to accommodate the alternator.
4) you won't have to worry about damaging the air cleaner snout.
5) your car will be original.
6) the regulators are adjustable.
6) just imagine how much fun you will have telling people what that old thing is bolted to your engine.
1966 Giulia GTC
1967 Giulia Sprint GT Veloce
1974 Metalic Green Montreal
1966 Giulia Super Blue
1980 Mazda B1800
1989 MX5
2013 MB C250 Coupe

MD

Guys, from a certain point of view Gary is absolutely right. Ease of fitment, repair, originality,using less horsepower and the like. I also like his sense of fun.
From my perspective fitting an alternator is advisable if you do a lot of starts, use  headlights for considerable time in your travels,run air con,run heater fans and wipers in various combinations.
It is possible to use small alternators from say a Holden Barina- Nippon Denso,which makes similar output~40amps to a generator if space is a problem. This will still give you much more stable and higher line voltage at idle than a generator. Alternators only use more power if you are taking more power from them.
You have to weigh up the benefits or otherwise of the cost of conversion too.

My summary

Go generator for minimal cost and originality
Go alternator for better volatge and higher amperage output but put up with the lack of orignality and extra cost to get there.

Finally, you have to ask the question, if generators are so good, why did they invent alternators?
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

boomerang147

Thank's for the advice guys. I eventually want the car to be a daily driver and therefore need the car to be very reliable, so any improvement to the electrical system should be a good thing. I have decided to install a new alternator, but will wait a little bit longer as the generator seems to be going ok at the moment and I have a Ford Laser as a second car so it isnt urgent to get it done.
Thanks again!
Nick