A little more power for an 86' GTV6

Started by Sir Lancelot, August 15, 2010, 12:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stradale

The extra engine power is needed to cut through the wall of air in front of the car, the faster you go the
the harder it gets, so you need more and more power as the speed increases just to cut through

Duk

Quote from: dehne on August 15, 2010, 05:01:55 PM
get the 2.5 chipped my one is auto delta chiped and have had it up to 250kph but if you call monza they can tell you who to use to chip it i think they are called powerchip good performance for less money

ROFL! You had an old analogue ECU 'chipped' 'ey? You must be the 1st person in the world to do that considering they don't have 'chips'.

Decent power and drivability would come from fitting and properly tuning a good quality aftermarket computer. That would let you get rid of the little air flow meter and tune for best performance both the fuel and ignition timing. This will also accommodate later modifications.
Porting the heads http://www.oldtunnel.com/ and a well made set of extractors would also help.

Duk

Quote from: Sportiva on August 16, 2010, 02:33:16 PM
The extra engine power is needed to cut through the wall of air in front of the car, the faster you go the
the harder it gets, so you need more and more power as the speed increases just to cut through

In 1955 Jaguar produced a racing car that needed just 32hp to do 100mph (160km/hr). Of course the car made plenty more hp than that (270hp) it does show the massive effect of aerodynamic drag. http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_111684/article.html

dehne

the guy who i brought it of worked for auto delta once and had chipped/remapped and powerchip CAN do these to
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Paul Gulliver

Quotethe guy who i brought it of worked for auto delta once and had chipped/remapped and powerchip CAN do these to

http://www.powerchipgroup.com/interact/datasheets/datasheets_two.asp?pid=Alf0005
Paul Gulliver
Present
2017 Silver Giulia Veloce
1979 Silver Alfa 116 GTV Twin Spark
1973 Red Alfa 105 2.0 GTV

Past
2013 Giulietta QV
2006 Black 159 2.2 J
1970 Dutch Blue Series 2 1750
1975 Blue Alfetta Sedan 1.8
1981 Piper Yellow Alfetta GTV 2000
1985 Red Alfetta GTV2.0
1989 White Alfa 164
2000 156

Simon Aarons

Back on topic....

Alex, 3.0L's are GROUSE! I think i have mentioned this before but after having one for over a year now, I still get a kick out of it and for the road it doesn't feel like i need more power. It has a great mix of low/mid range torque and rev's out much nicer than my old 2.5L. Also after a AFM tune it's quite fuel efficient - around 12-14L per 100km depending on driving style and conditions.

If you are concerned about originality, the only way of really noticing a 3.0L is the cam covers. The conversion on mine was done using the old 2.5L's plenum, water pump, sump, intake and so on...I kept the nicer looking cam covers with the script Alfa Romeo logo on them... but you can always put the 2.5L on and no one will ever know!

Considering the condition of your GTV6, i think this will make it even more desirable!
1986 GTV6 3.0L

Storm_X

Quote from: Sheldon Mcintosh on August 15, 2010, 09:10:13 PM
Quote from: dehne on August 15, 2010, 08:34:25 PM
please do remember that a standard 90 is good for 220-230 anyway

No it isn't.  Please show us your evidence for this.  All the tests I've seen say that just over 200km/h is top speed, 205km/h being the highest I've ever seen quoted.  And I've published most of these in the Cross & Serpent.

Quote from: dehne on August 15, 2010, 08:34:25 PM
a little mod is only gaining 20 more kpm

Assuming your 230 km/h was correct, it would take a lot of horsepower to go from 230 to 250 km/h, not just a 'little mod'.  To go from 205km/h to 250km/h would take at least 100bhp at a guess.

But, prove to me that a standard 90 can do 230km/h and I may be more inclined to believe the rest of your claims.

I think the 2.0 giulietta says it has a top speed of 180 but yet i got mine to 200 and i could have gone just a little bit more.

dehne do you have a dyno sheet/specs of you car ?
"Alfa Romeo built to excite.. Some dream of driving the ideal.. I drive it"

dehne

never had it done but i think i will just to show these people that it is possible and that they need to believe in the pure power that alfa has inside of it not just what some bloke writes on paper to get the regulators happy
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

dehne

No it isn't.  Please show us your evidence for this.  All the tests I've seen say that just over 200km/h is top speed, 205km/h being the highest I've ever seen quoted.  And I've published most of these in the Cross & Serpent.

so your saying that iron sides is only good for 200, i pity you why would you bother racing it then seems like a waste when storms fully complete 2ltr giulie can do 200, dont see why alfa would have put 2 extra cylinders on and an extra 1/2 litre, i suppose they had money to burn or they thought we were all stupid and would buy it anyway
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Storm_X

Quote from: dehne on August 16, 2010, 07:55:06 PM

so your saying that iron sides is only good for 200, i pity you why would you bother racing it then seems like a waste when storms fully complete 2ltr giulie can do 200, dont see why alfa would have put 2 extra cylinders on and an extra 1/2 litre, i suppose they had money to burn or they thought we were all stupid and would buy it anyway

this was a long time ago im sure it said 180 mabye even 200. But the 2.0 done 200 easy. should get 250 once turbo is on.
Who are you pitying ? who is racing what ?

dehne

sorry it was meant to quote sheldon and his 90, im happy it means that my 90 is way quicker than his
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
Past

Neil Choi

Those are fighting words!!!!!!

Bloody Hilarious. 

Sir Lancelot

This is fantastic! Didn't have a chance to look back on my topic until now, 2 pages! Although it did seem to digress, did I dig up something I shouldn't have here? Haha, please don't let me stop you, happy to have two threads here :)

OK I'm thoroughly confused, and am loving the suggestions. I'm attached to my 2.5L, which is the only reason I'm not jumping at a 3.0L. Simmo – you may have to take me for a drive to convince me! We never did go for that cruise!

Quote from: paul edwards on August 15, 2010, 02:09:48 PMHi
What gear box are you running? lf it's a standard gear box, l would start their especially if it original. lt's probably due for a synchro ring or two any way. It sounds like the 2.5 is in good condition so l wouldn't go pulling it down or swapping just yet. A well set up close ratio box really improves the sporty feel and punch of engine. When l did this to my standard 1984 GTV2lt. Alfetta it was unbelievable  better to drive and lots more fun as well.
Cheers Paul
The 2.5 is in very good condition I believe, I never considered this, might talk to my regular mechanic and get some ideas of what exactly that will do for the GTV6. It sounds like what I might be after, thanks! Although the car is already cruising at 3000rpm at 100kph, so would a mod like this push that higher? Or assuming you don't mess with the higher gears, it may not?

Quote from: BradGTV on August 15, 2010, 04:40:15 PM
for best power and value for money:
http://www.hiperformancestore.com/superchargerkit.htm
;D
Don't think I didn't think about it! That page has been bookmarked for years :P

Quote from: dehne on August 15, 2010, 05:01:55 PM
get the 2.5 chipped my one is auto delta chiped and have had it up to 250kph but if you call monza they can tell you who to use to chip it i think they are called powerchip good performance for less money
So what exactly does the chip-mod affect? Is it timing or the AFM or something? (is the AFM mechanical?)

Sheldon, you're absolutely right – I love the exhaust note I have right now, which is why I'm hesitant to change anything! Extractors have always been on my mind, when you say "a lot of time" do you mean it's not straight forward to change of the AFM and extractors?

Quote from: aggie57 on August 16, 2010, 07:57:34 AM
For everyday use it's not absolute power you're wanting but mid-range power and torque.  For that a set of Vin's extractors will help, you'll get an even crisper exhaust note and they can be moved to a 12v 3.0 later on with the same benefits.

Something else worth considering is opening up the intake runners and cleaning up the bottom of the plenum.  In the early days of V6's one of our well known club members did that with excellent results.   Likewise if you are fitting extractors take the time to make sure that it is bolted up clean and the ports are well matched.
The extractors are sounding like an obvious option for any upgrade – Vin is at Pace engineering? You'll have to forgive me, still learning, didn't understand the second part... "opening up the intake runners and cleaning up the bottom of the plenum"

How serious a mod is porting, what are the issues associated with it and what else needs to accompany it?

Thanks guys, I'll look into these ideas further and figure out what is suitable for me :)

Storm_X

has anyone seen the alfa 75 3.0 0-200kmph on you tube ?  ;D

Storm_X

i know what the intake runners on a ca18 is where for each air inlet port splits into two ports just before the valves and one port is clear to the valve and the other is controled by a butterfly if any of that makes sence.

Im having trouble getting pics.