Best place for Fire Extinguisher

Started by spieret, May 18, 2008, 06:29:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spieret

I am biting the bullet and trying out racing, my first question is, where in my 98 GTV would be the best place for the extinguisher.
Owning a GTV, if i have to explain... you'll never understand...

Current:
1998 916 V6 GTV

John Toomath

Tony,

A solution was suggested to me that worked a treat. Buy a sheet of aluminium (I got mine from Bunnings) that was about 600mm x 400mm and 0.6mm thick.  Remove the allen head bolts on the front of the passenger seat rail and loosen the rear ones.  Measure and cut the width of the sheet to be just wider than the seat rails and then drill holes so that the original bolts can go back in.  This creates the base to then screw the metal fire extinguisher mounting plate to.  To avoid it bouncing around mount it so that you can slide the passenger seat forward until it rests against the extinguisher.

The 2 things I liked was that I didn't drill any holes in the car itself and when you are not using it you can remove the extinguisher bracket and have the aluminium plate underneath the floor mat (I trimmed the sheet so that the mat clips could still be used), ready for the next quick attachment.

Enjoy the track in your GTV. I did the same as you last year.
2001 GTV 3.0 24V V6 (daily smile generator)
1987 75 2.5 V6 (trackday smile generator)

ANT_GTV6

Hi all, Someone gave me the same idea so im doing the exact same thing in my 85 GTV6. It seems like the best solution without drilling holes.

Colin Byrne

Hi Guys
I understand that people don't won't to drill holes in their cars and this does sound like a good way round but I'd look at the strength of the material you are using. There is a reason why metal brackets are specified so screwing them into .6mm aluminium is probably not the safest option.  The same concept can be utilised but I would look at using at least 3mm aluminium and make sure you use nuts and bolts rather than self tappers.  While aluminium is a great material it fatigues very easily the last thing you want is a 1kg fire extinguisher flying around the cabin in a roll over situation, just something to think about
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

Scott Farquharson

The CAMS manual (and FIA regs) state the mount/bracket must be able to withstand certain forces - .6 ally will not be enough.  The concept is fine but just make sure the mount is strong enough.  3mm is probably what you would want.
Scott Farquharson
Group A Dulux Alfetta GTV6
Group S Alfetta GTV
Alfetta GT (GTAM?)

ANT_GTV6

Sorry i should have specified. Im using galvanised steel. Im not exactly sure of the thickness but it would be 3mm or more and its pretty strong. I was talked out of aluminium for the same reasons.