selespeed oil

Started by ozchips, June 28, 2010, 09:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozchips

just an update to let you all know that i have been using Penrite LHM Plus since I posted last and all is well .
Even though it is mineral based the use is actually specified ie alfa selespeed

dehne

keep us posted if you have any issues
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

ozchips

I wanted to give it a little while before I posted , although it would have made good reading for the entire thing to go up in flames within minutes of me changing :)
even specifies alfa selespeed units on the bottle
approx $50 for 2.5 litres

just out of curiosity how does everyone drain the actuator/pump system ?
there has to be an easier way

jackafrica

ozchips,
           Can't assist unfortunately on the draining/refilling aspect of the Selespeed system, however can advise the Penrite LHM Plus is a hydraulic system specific mineral oil used by Citroen owners with cars using LHM.
Usually this is a green colour similar to that of engine coolant, the Penrite product is less so that most. LHM was a Citroen specific fluid for their hydraulic system ( steering,brakes,suspension and gear shift ) used from 1966/1967 to 1998.

cheers
Richard
cheers

Richard

ozchips

thnaks for the post Richard
still going strong , however when I had my service there was a very small leak in the high pressure hose between the pump and actuator , will have to ring around and get one from somewhere .
Or do you guys think that getting one made up by pirtek or enzed would be better ?

jackafrica

Being a stickler for originality in most cases....
if it is available readily at a reasonable price, yes change it.

Otherwise, Pirtek or Enzed shouldbe able to make a hose, depending on the thread style/type.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Richard
cheers

Richard

bobalfa

Hi guys, have been watching this item for some time a) because of the cost of the "official" oil and b) because I too have a small leak. The two go hand inhand!!  re draining the system, I guess the answer is to disconnet the battery before opening the door and thus pump charging up, then carefully disconnecting the high pressure hose ( which is usually the leaker ) to avoid spraying everything.  If that works I would be interested in which type of hose you use original or locally made?  I used the latter on my power steering, non Alfa, and it worked well .

Looking forward to updates

BobAlfa 

ozchips

Bob
well the LHM oil is fine, nothing wrong with it at all, as mentioned earlier it is designed for Alfa selespeed units .
you got it right on how to do it there bob , it is under high pressure , so yes disconnect the wiring form the pump first .
you need to drain it and then refill and bleed , bleeding is easier than brakes , leave the cap off and you will hear a "burp" when the air comes out . After that top up and you are fine .
i ended up gettting a hose made by a mate who career is making hoses for mining equipment