Hope to have an Alfa soon

Started by Lams, June 09, 2010, 01:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lams

Hi all,
so this is where all the motoring enthusaists are hanging out!

I'm located in Brisbane and currently all the cars in my life and those around me are all VWs. My current daily is a Caddy Camper 1.9TDI, with a few mods to make it less boring. My weekend cars are a 76 EMPI Beetle GTV (yes, a GTV!) and a '56 oval Beetle 1200

My Caddy lease is expiring soon and I thought what a great time to finally try Alfa.

I have heard numerous horror stories, but really, how can you expect something exciting to give you no trouble? I have only worked on an Alfa once, a 156 Selespeed, changing the O2 sensor and it was not fun. It belonged to my coffee man, who had so much trouble with the selespeed he sold it and bought a Hyundai Sonata with a 5 yr warranty (poor fella)

Still, I'm now looking at an early 159. Specifically, the 2.4 JTD. As I travel 80km a day for work, the replacement for the Caddy needs to be good on fuel. I really am quite bored by VW and its choice of using grey in everything. Every time I jump in my family members' cars, it's the same - same switches, same boring but functional dash, same satnav unit, same grey interior.

Any tips you can give me about the JTD 159 would be great. I'm looking at under $30k cars and would like to steer clear of Selespeeds. Seems not many for sale in QLD at the moment...

Thanks!

NigelC

Drove a 159 for three years and it was the best car I ever owned but I also have developed a Group S Alfetta which needs to be towed on a trailer, consequently I bought an Audi allroad as a tow vehicle.

My 159 is for sale, it is a 2.2 JTS and has very good fuel consumption, especially on the highway.  While it's advertised at $26k, I'll settle for less than that if I know it's going to an Alfa fanatic like me.  Have a look at the advert and feel free to message me to ask any questions.

The 2.4d has a good reputation but they are morte expensive to buy and I have been more than happy with the 2.2 jts.

http://www.drive.com.au/used-cars/ALFA+ROMEO/159/ACT+-+ALL/detail.aspx?id=13654406&lid=13654406&pg=1&pp=3&d=0&SG=1924596334&pt=1
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust

Lams

Hi NigelC,

Thanks for your response. I have seen yours on the classifieds, very nice, but chasing a diesel for now.

If you're after a bit more torque from your Allroad, check out these guys, I used to work for them:
www.goapr.com.au

Hard to find a car to even look at, there's next to none for sale here in QLD. I may just head to the dealer on Saturday morning and do some tyre kicking

NigelC

My mechanic in Canberra has already mentioned an ECU upgrade to my allroad - something to think about but the 2.7 twin turbo is pretty responsive as it is.
Current 2017 Giulia Veloce - Red
Current 1979 Alfa GTV - Ivory (Gp S racer)
Past 2007 Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Rubino Red
Past 2003 Alfa 156 2.0 JTS Red
Past 1979 Alfa GTV Red/Rust