My New Shitbox

Started by Sheldon McIntosh, June 01, 2010, 10:30:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

Hey well done to Mario and the crew what a road trip. X2 or 3 re bidding on the Joolie, he has been good to you.  ;D 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Sheldon McIntosh

Mario got $500 at the auction, so someone got a bargain, the wheels and tyres alone would be worth that.  The Triumph got $200, someone got ripped off, and the Corona got $250, which was very surprising as it was very popular during the rally, there would have been 20 people who wanted to buy it.  We're now regretting not swapping it for a case of beer at Hell's Gate (they don't sell beer, and we ran out.  We'd bought a case the night before in readiness, but then a couple of chicks with huge cans driving a 70s V8 Mercedes came over and chatted for a while so we gave them some - pretty good deal really).

It was really sad to see him go actually, and I think all cars could probably have got more, but they were trying to get the auction through quickly.  One of many organisational fuck-ups on this rally, but it's only the second rally, and the first with this many cars.  Ah well.  Dad actually tried to buy him, but he wasn't prepared to go over $400.  Tight bastard.  I really felt fond of Mario as he went down to 3 cylinders and just managed to crawl out of a deep river, and then up a steep muddy hill.  What a great car.

I'll update my blog over the next couple of days, and there will be a big article in the next C&S, but here's a couple of pics of Mario, one on the Savannah Way, the other when he's at auction.  This has really been one of the best experiences of my life.  I've seen some incredible parts of Australia, driven some simply incredible roads, and made some great new mates.  Highly recommended.  

We find out this afternoon where next years rally goes, but rumour has it that it'll be Adelaide to Broome.  That may be wildly inaccurate speculation, but I'll let you know.  At least I've proven that two dickheads in an under-prepared shit Alfa can do it, so if you have an abandoned project lying around, you know what to do....

I've got a bad headache now, so updates may not happen for a while........

Sheldon McIntosh

Some video of the last part of the unsealed part of Wednesday's drive.

This was the longest day of the rally.  We'd started at 8.00am, and had about 200km of goat track, including about 6 river-crossings.  I remember at one stage, about 4.5 hours and 110km in, having crossed a few rivers, and various cars having various things fixed, we saw a sign that said we still had 250km to go of the unsealed road!!  Luckily, at about 4.30pm, just after I'd fixed a few things on the Alfa (water in the ignition, throttle spring) the next 170km was pretty nice dirt and gravel roads, so we could honk along at 110km/h.

This video is towards the end of the unsealed road, we were trying to get to the end of the unsealed road before the sun set, and we only just made it.  It doesn't look fast, but trust me when I say that it felt incredibly fast.  We had to keep close for radio communication, and luckily the wind was blowing a little bit to the right, so I could drive on the left and avoid most of the dust, but visibility was still pretty patchy.  The setting sun made it slightly more difficult, but also incredibly beautiful.  This was up there with the best driving experiences of my life.  

Neil Choi

Well done Shitboxers, congratulations on your fine achievements.

One question for you, what happens if you did win an auction for a car, do you then have to drive it back another 5000km.

What were some of the auction results, any good buys other than the ones mentioned.

Neil

AlfaACT

What a fabulous result.
Congratulations guys.

What a shame Mario gets left behind - but no doubt he's with a proud new owner.

MD

There is something definitely odd about a Giulia becoming a Mario overnight. I suppose it's all to do with the transexual gearbox... ::)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

MD

I am sure we would all  like to think that Mario is headed off on Hollywood engagements and a full make over.

I know I do..rumour has it, he's going for a colour change too.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

Sheldon McIntosh

Hi all, sorry for the delay, it's been a bit strange trying to get used to normal life again.  I've posted some updates at www.hoonanism.com , hopefully I'll get the last of them done tomorrow.

MD - Sorry dude, unlike LTD News I don't like the stories to get in the way of a good fact.  Thanks for all your help along the way.
Paul - Thanks for the congrats.  It was tough, but we made it, and without too many difficulties.  Where'd you get that picture?  Looks like Mataranka Springs.
AlfaACT - Thanks for the congrats, and thanks for your donation.

Thanks to everyone that donated money, time, advice, and money.  It's been quite a trip, and we couldn't have done it without you. 

The Rally managed to raise around $650,000, which is just incredible.  Next year it starts from.......Melbourne!!!   Melbourne to Cairns via Cameron Corner, should be good.  I've shown it's possible, I hope there are other Alfisti out there who will take up the challenge. 

I can almost guarantee that it will be one of the best experiences of your life.  I just hope I haven't just doubled the price of shit Giuliettas overnight....

Sheldon McIntosh

Oh yeah, meant to say....

Mario was bought by a Darwin local, who said he was going to "thrash the fuck out of it on the dirt roads around here...." .   Perfect for an Alfa this car I would have thought.

Also, he got Mario for $500, and was offered $800 5 minutes later and turned it down.  Good man. 

Godspeed Mario, I'll miss you.

aggie57

Fantastic effort guys - it's been great following your story. The next C&S should be a dozzie!
Alister
14 Alfa's since 1977. 
Currently 1973 GTV 2000, 2020 911 C2S MT, 2021 Mercedes GLE350, 2023 Polestar 2 LRDM
Gone......far too many to list

L4OMEO

Well done Sheldon & team, awesome effort. And thanks for sharing it, plenty of us have followed you all the way.

Cheers
Rory
2002 156 GTA

dehne

well done, next year should be a great one to, I have already put done my interest for it, and im going to use my white 90 as i only paid 300 for it and it goes really well and nothing really needs to be done, maybe sheldon your up for the navagators role?
now
1x 85 mdl road 90
2013 Giulietta 1.4
2015 Launch Edition Giulietta
Past
Multiple Alfa 90's, Alfetta's and 147's

Frank Musco

Well done Sheldon, cheers!

Darryl

Nice work Sheldon,
You really need to keep better company though - can't trust those British cars (and I can say that mine is truly showing its "character" - as soon as I fix something something else breaks - and its only been driven between repairers/parts suppliers).

Sounds like the new owner will appreciate Mario - just the thing for a bit of a fang in the dirt.

Dehne,
A couple of us up here were discussing options and I thought of a 90 given their less than loved status... Big boot could be handy, wondered about the fuel consumption though?

Sheldon McIntosh

Quote from: dehne on June 02, 2011, 01:30:00 PM
maybe sheldon your up for the navagators role?
I'll take it you're joking.

A 90 should be pretty good for it, but a few more electrics to worry about through the water.  The lack of ground clearance could be a concern too, but easy enough to raise a bit I suppose.

Actually Stu and I were discussing last night what to do it in next year, and a V6 75 did come up.  After the first 4 days of the rally I'd thought a 164 would be perfect for it, but I don't know how it would have coped with the river-crossings on day 5, and if something does go wrong it's not as simple to work on.