new member hi guys pics uploaded

Started by grouchy, April 18, 2010, 09:16:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grouchy

Hello people name's brad
                                I am very new to the alfa side of life  ;),i just brought a giulia super and i love her
she is maroon,red and flies but has a little bit off cancer,worst part is it need's a boot lid,
i will up load some photos to day once i give here a bath she is complete even with tool kit in boot,
but radio has been swaped for a cd player.From the info i found in the car she was a alfa aussi member ,last rego in queensland in 07
number on fire wall is AR724884, I really have no  idea adout her so any info would be great please.
I live on the central coast n.s.w  how would i find what year she is  ::)
                                          THank you

Davidm1600

Hi ya Grouchy well done mate.  True alfisti drive Giulia Supers !!!  ;D ;D  Well some do anyway.  A top choice for your first Alfa. 

Re information on your car.  One of the things you can do is write to Marco Farbrizzio at the centro storvio, and provide him with the chassis and engine details and he will send you details as to when the car was built, first sold etc.  I don't have the actual link but I am sure someone will post these details.

As to a boot lid hopefully someone might have a spare one.  Parts including mechanical, and trim are pretty much available from a range of suppliers here in Aus (eg Milano spares in Melb) or alternatively Classic alfa, Alfaholics etc in the UK. Enjoy the Super.  Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

ItalCarGuy

Congrats on the purchase. I concur with Dave, about driving Supers 8) and contacting Marco. There is an email address on this forum somewhere for him. I think by your chassis number your car is a 70/71 model. It sounds like is is pretty complete if it still has the toolkit! As for a bootlid, I have a spare, which probably isnt better than yours as it has rust along the bottom edge and may be different if yours has the sunken alfa badge in the middle. Maybe post your engine number too so we can tell you if it is original or a transplant.
Looking forward to the pics.
Derek

grouchy

Thanks guys up loading pics now but were is the engine number hidden.

ItalCarGuy

Quote from: grouchy on April 18, 2010, 04:43:47 PM
Thanks guys up loading pics now but were is the engine number hidden.
driver's side of the block behind the distributor or on the rear edge of the block where the gearbox bellhousing meets the block

grouchy

Thank you ok vin on fire wall is AR724884    engine number is AR00514  25230  Has 4 wheel disc brakes,umbrella hand brake,green surpent on c piller,momo wood grain steering wheel, oil,water gauges and 3 round gauges speedo im mph any help would be great thank you

Davidm1600

Hi Brad, given the description, I would suspect that Derek is likely to be on the money. In some parts of the world, if yours also has a black strip of headliner at the front, and the recess for the badge on the bootlid, console between the front seats etc then this model is often referred to as a Biscione.

My Super is a '69 model, and should be essentially the same as yours.  I have been restoring mine for many years (started back in 2002).  It was extremely rusty, but straight and mostly all there.  I am actually making mine largely into a '67 replica as I like the look of the earlier interior, plus mine was stuffed and I managed to find the parts I needed for the '67 rep. I recently just got back from the trimmer new door cards, rebuilt grab handles and the rear parcel shelf. It cost a lot but the finished product is like new.  Regrettably I still have a fair way to go with my Super.

I can make some enquiries re a bootlid, and while one will turn up, it might just take a bit of time.  I would suggest you let Barry Edmunds know the details of your car etc, as he maintains the Giulia Super register for the Southern Hemisphere.  He posts here as well as sometimes on the Alfabb.  I mostly post over on the BB (my name over there is : Super1600).

Irrespective of specifically what model your car is, well done on finding one.  I remember reading some years ago an article printed in Unique Cars (aka Book of Dreams or Unique Prices) about a '70 Giulia Super which was restored by Sam's Panels in Melb. In the article it mentioned that approx 400 Giulia sedans of all sorts were imported into Aus.  I am not sure how many are left but can well imagine that it is likely to be less than 100.  Barry might have some better idea on how many are left.

As I mentioned previously the good thing about 105 Alfas, is the huge range of spares/new parts that are available for them from the suppliers world wide.  Similarly there are a range of books which cover 105 Alfas and more specifically the Giulia sedan.  I have quite a number of them.  One of the better ones was John Tiplers book on Berlinas (which covers all Alfa sedans from the 50s onwards).  Worth checking out.  Dave

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

ItalCarGuy

Well Brad, that's really interesting because your engine is a 1600 as it should be but is from a '63 Giulia Ti. The Ti is the predecessor to the Super. I reckon there are not too many early giulia engines around. I wouldn't worry about it unless you are a matching numbers kind of guy, and if you are there is no such thing for a giulia! It just has to fall within a certain number range. Your engine number should start with 00526. There is a guy in nz I know of who would love a ti engine for his ti, if you ever swap it out though. Do you have weber carbs on it?
Yes, congrats again on the purchase and I love hearing of another giulia going to a loving home!

Dave, does your car have an umbrella handbrake? 

Evan Bottcher

Quote from: Davidm1750 on April 18, 2010, 10:16:40 AM
One of the things you can do is write to Marco Farbrizzio at the centro storvio, and provide him with the chassis and engine details and he will send you details as to when the car was built, first sold etc.  I don't have the actual link but I am sure someone will post these details.

Marco Fazio at Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
ArchivioStorico@alfaromeo.com

He'll send you a response like this:
Dear Mister Bottcher,

with reference to your request we are informing you as follows.

According to our documentation files, the chassis number AS 5468250
originally corresponds to an Alfa Romeo Alfasud ti (901C), manufactured on
the 3rd June 1977.
The body colour is Alfa red (AR 530), with grey cloth interiors.

Yours, Sincerely,

Marco Fazio
Automobilismo Storico Alfa Romeo
            Archivio Storico

cheers,
Evan.
Newest to oldest:
'13 Alfa Mito QV
'77 Alfasud Ti
'74 Alfasud Sedan
'68 1750 GTV
--> Slow and Fun - my Alfa journal

grouchy

my lady

20super/motormusemannaeasteralfa107.jpg[/IMG]

grouchy

Thanks heaps guys you have been so great in heling me,what a great forum :),ill email my info no and see how we go

Davidm1600

Thanks Evan for posting the correct details.  I was kind of right, just got the spelling a little off.

Brad, not a problem, us people with Supers have to stick together to help each out out. ;D  Your car certainly looks to be in pretty good condition, though it does look like it hadn't been used much by the light oxidising on the cam covers and rusty look to the carbs etc.  But at least it doesn't appear to be too rusty and that is the huge bonus.  Do check out the Classic Alfa/Alfaholics websites for the parts sections, since they carry quite an exhaustive listing of new and NOS parts for Giulias. 

Derek, yes mine has the umbrella type handbrake.  Not sure if it works.  One of the many things to sort out as I hit the road to completion, alas still a way off.  I need to save funds at the moment for its proper re-spray, while at the same time as doing a major house renno.  Guess which one is winning out at the moment  :(

Ok Brad, so your Super is even the same colour as mine was, and has the same interior as mine used to.  My brother has both a '70 1300 Ti as well as a '65 Guilia Ti, so he too I am sure would love one day to find a correct early engine for that car.  But no worries there as he has plenty of projects before/if ever he gets around to restoring that car.   Oh I forgot to mention that while the momo looks nice, it isn't the correct steering wheel. The correct one is of a larger diameter, with a plastic wood rim and polished spokes.  while up to you, if it were my car I would be perfectly happy with the momo. 

My brother in law also has a '70 Giulia like yours and mine, he recently fitted a woodrim Nardi Classico wheel to it.  It looks and feels superb. 

Dave
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

Barry Edmunds

grouchy
Welcome to the real world of Alfisti. As you will inevitably discover for yourself, owning/driving a Giulia Super (or Ti) is the best way of having fun without taking your clothes off and anyway only real Alfisti drive sedans.
Aside from a bit of cosmetic work your car looks to be in reasonable condition.
Your car is a 1970 model and was previously owned by the late Peter Wherrett, race driver, TV motoring program host, motoring journo and one of a very few motoring scribes in Australia with any credibility. He really was one of the good guys to boot and he genuinely loved Alfas.
I have managed to acquire a few Super specific parts over the years to add to the collection. If I haven't got what you need I should be able to point you in the right direction for replacements. Drop me a note at giulia105@optusnet.com.au
Send me your details so I can update the Register.
Barry

ItalCarGuy

Davidm1600

Me too, as I recall it being up for sale some years ago. My brother in law was interested in at the time but it was a little too expensive for him at the time. 

I wonder is just me or did anyone else notice though that the side indicators on the front guards are the long spear ones (aka as per a 67 or earlier model) rather than the short ones which were used from '68 onwards ???  and it is missing the side cill stainless steel trims (that is unless it didn't come with them). 
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

'76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina