Is it worth converting an Automatic 105 GTV into a manual version ?

Started by Silver105, April 11, 2010, 08:56:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver105

I'm looking for a very good example of a 105 GTV 2000ltr or a Series 1 1750. Now if I happened to come accross a very tidy 200ltr auto that seems to have most of the issues ironed out, would their be any issues outside of the mechanical ones of dropping in a manual of the same model and restoring the dash board to a manual version ? Thoughts ?

Would it affect the resale value down the track ?

JJ

Brad M

My 105 is a manual, if I found a nicely sorted auto I wouldn't mess with it.

I know the purists love the manual, but i have heard the auto is a nice package.

It depends on what you want to do with it, is it for track days, clubs runs into the hills, or a daily driver? (sorted in order of needing a manual - in my opinion)

The only reason I'd bother changing an auto to manual would be because there are no manuals left. Given the auto is rarer I really can't ever see that situation.
06 147 JTD 1.9
76 116 GT 2.0
72 105 GTV 2.0

Gone... 2x 147 GTA, 2x 90, 2x SudSprint

Next? ... http://www.alfaclubvic.org.au/forum/index.php?topic=17067

GTV-074

JJ,

If you find the right car and thats what you want, do it!

We used to have an automatic Berlina years ago and I can't see (just my opinion) the auto as any great thing - so I would have no hesitation in converting a car.

I guess underlying this 'procedure' would be cost. If you are shelling out a packet for a mint / good nick GTV and then want to convert it to manual you would need to consider the conversion cost. Just a few things I came up with,

Gearbox, pedal box, clutch master, clutch hydraulic lines, flywheel & clutch assembly, new console & incidentals like reverse sensor etc.

Then the 'not sure of things' like - tail shaft length? (longer/shorter), diff ratio (was different on auto's), reco cost of gearbox.

Then factor in the labour (unless you will be doing it yourself).

I am thinking 3k plus perhaps?

But then again, IMO it will be better than an auto!

Cheers,

Paul.
Speed costs money - how fast do you want to go?

Silver105

Thanks for the comments.

I just noticed that they seem to be much cheaper than the manual versions in the same condition. So was thinking that it may be a cheeky way to get what I want if the correct colour came up.  Now obviously the current owner would have a heart attack and may not even sell it to someone like myself who would want to swap the geebox out but I was just getting some feedback.

Seems to make more sense for a project car where you are going to have to replace or restore things like the gearbox, interior trim etc then it seems like a smart option. Especially if the body was straight and rust free ?

The search continues......

Thanks

JJ  ( speed does cost money as if I don't use it the wife will ! )
;D

branko.gt

Please do not buy a good automatic and convert it to manual, well sorted original automatic is a very rare thing and worth preserving.
If you want a project find a basket case and make whatever your heart desires. That way you save a 105 AND make it whatever you liek it to be...
You may not liek automatic for a track or a spirited drive but the original automatic in a good condition is actually a car to get excited about. There were very few ever made and fewer still remain.

berlinaman

I have been looking at alfa 105's for the last 6 months and I would have to disagree that the auto's are rare as there seems to be plenty to choose from - 3 x 2000 models on carsales alone. I have been looking specifically at berlinas and in the last six months have only seen seven advertised and four of those where autos. So maybe they aren't so rare - either that or they where bought by more careful owners who preserved them well.
Anyway just a comment and I have contemplated the 'swap' myself.
cheers
Tony

Davidm1600

Hi Tony, with respect, while I have to agree that there have been a number of Autos for sale recently, in truth Branko is to the best of my knowledge correct re Auto 105s being rare. 

From memory, Alfa only made approx 250 or so, auto Berlinas (for worldwide sale), the majority being 2L though I understand they made about 4 1750 Auto Berlinas.  As to GTVs, to the best of my knowledge the auto was only ever available in the 2L, I have only ever seen one here in Tassie, and it is now long gone.  As to the number made I don't know off the top of my head but I am sure I could find the production figures in my 105 Alfa reference books.  My guess is though that only a very small number of these would have made it out to Aus, likely to have been less than say 20 or 30 ?? (could be less or more ??).

So, and back to Silvers comments, I am in two camps here, yes, if you found an auto it could be converted to manual and I wouldn't loose any sleep, but from an originality perspective in a way it would be a pity as Branko suggests.   
Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

w47ty

Hey,

for what its worth here is my tuppence (which i guess is what it is worth)  I own an auto 105 2000 GTV and I have to say that whilst, as has been mentioned, track guys or purists may prefer the manual it really didnt enter into my equation when I bought it. For me the beauty of owning it is just that..its beauty. 

I am neither an alfa "fundamentalist" (I say this with tongnue firmly in cheek) or a mechanic but i dont think the manual is necessarily a "better" car, unless you do wish to race it, nor do i think it would be worth the extra time and expense to refit it.  I have to agree with the comment that being an auto makes it a rarity and has its own intrinsic value which can only increase (if that is your aim)

well tuppence provided

whatever you do enjoy the esperience. when people walk past and give me the thumbs up, make comments or jsut smile they have no idea it is an auto!!!! :)

cheers

chris
75 2000 GTV
88 3.0 V6 75

Silver105

Thanks Chris for the comments, I decided not to go down this route. The rarity thing made me think I was being a little impatient. Have no fear auto's in good nick are safe again !!!  Cheers JJ

PS I ended up buying a manual, photos will be posted once it is delivered...