how do i remove the lower timming chain

Started by mario-jnr, March 29, 2010, 09:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mario-jnr

ok ive bit the bullet and putting a 2ltr into my jnr but i want to freashen it up a bit
so far engine on engine stand,sump off oil pump off,front timming case is off,now ive hit a snag i need to pull the crankshaft out but i dont know or see a easy way to remove the lower timming chain,
im only a novice mechanic but i can do this with a little help of my fellow alfisti so can anyone help with some solid advise thanks

Colin Byrne

the 2 sprockets of the lower timing chain will both come off together by sliding the bottom sprocket off the end of the crankshaft.  The top sprocket is just sandwiched between the block and the front cover, so with the front cover off it will just slide out of the block.  Once both sprockets are removed together you can take remove the sprockets from the chain
good luck
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

mario-jnr

ok thats what i thought so i will have to remove the top timing chain first colin easiest way to do this is ? how sorry for the dumb questions but i would rather ask first than charge like a bull into it and stuff something up oh and head is still on the block

Colin Byrne

Ah, that makes more sense ;), it's usual to take the head off the motor first before dismantling the bottom end (makes bulking the front cover off easier too.  With the top timing chain still connected and tight turn the motor over until you get to TDCC (the two lines on the camshafts will line up with the lines on the front camshaft caps.) Find the chain break and un clip it and remove the chain, then unbolt all the head nuts and remove the head.  I wouldn't recommend just leaving the head on with the timing chain removed as there is a possibility of bending valves if the crank is accidently turned.

I would recommend getting a manual for the engine, you'll need one anyway when reassembling so you know all the correct torque values
72' 105 2000 GTV Red (tarmac rally/race car)
74' 105 2000 GTV Blue (road car)
68' 105 1600 Giulia Super White (Not sure yet)
01' Nissan Pathfinder (Tow car/Alfa support vehicle)

mario-jnr

thanks colin easy job done,im being very carefull with the location of cams and crank as im not removing the head engine is in good nic i pulled it out of a 116 gtv and im refitting parts to fit it in my jnr to replace my tired 1300 so im replacing the crank oil pump and sump water pump gaskets ect ect  hopefully it will all go together smoothly but yes i do have a manual with all the torque settings thanks