I've Jumped In!

Started by prova, December 21, 2009, 03:09:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prova

Hello everyone. Just bought myself a red 85 Alfetta GTV. I bought it from a really nice couple in Nth Fitzroy. It has been carefully looked after and came with a bundle of work receipts and original papers. Its bodywork is excellent and is the primary reason for the purchase of this particular car. It has most of its original paint with only the left front guard and nose cone having been re sprayed. It also has a very good interior and is mechanically sound although I am keen for someone who knows what they are doing to look carefully over the suspension and give the engine a tune. It has only covered about 5000 kms over the last 5 years which is often not so good for a car! The car has a geniune 159,000 kms on the clock.

I have only owned two other Alfas both Alfasud Sprints which I really enjoyed but they were a bit tired and rusty. What I really have owned a lot of is FIATs - 124 Coupes (two CC's and one AC), 124 Spider, 850 Sport Coupe (my favorite) and a 125.

I am intending to join the Alfa Club (Vic) and am looking forward to using the car whenever I can. I picked the car up only last week. It was pouring with rain and I tentatively drove it home in heavy traffic hoping all would go well - It did. I live in the country near Geelong and it was great to finally get on some quiet country roads and open it up a bit. Since then I have enjoyed every trip in it - except today - because it wouldn't let me drive it. The ignition lock plainly refuses to turn. I have tried ti wiggling thing, the steering lock thing, the graphite thing - mind you the ignition gave absolutely no problems before this. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Anyway Ciao for now

Ren

prova

The wiggly jiggly thing worked. Does not give me much confidence taking it out tonight. Would Alfa Romeo still have codes for the keys?

I hope this is not a theme with the car.

franck

Welcome to the wiggly jiggly world of alfa ;D

MD

prova,

Welcome to Alfa Romeo ownership.You have picked a classic and there is no reason to expect that your Alfa will be any more problems than your Fiats and even it is, the pleasure of driving it will overcome it all.

Now for your ignition lock. It has been sitting around and chances are the lock pins are all dry or possibly have a little internal oxidisation and will not fall into place. Buy a can of INOX spray lubricant. Use the long hollow tube extension to the nozzle and insert it completely into the keyway. Now spray the living daylights out of it until it flows out of the keyway. Leave it settle overnight, do it again in the morning but this time after spraying insert the key and try the lock operation. It should be fine if your key is a good profile for the lock.

Let me know how you went. Cheers.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

prova

Hey thanks for that I will try the INOX spray. Wiggling and jiggling can get you a long way in this world!

We are all capable of strange things when we really want to drive our cars. Last night I went to the movies to see Avatar (which was visually amazing by the way) and I really wanted to take the Alfa. So I left the ignition key in the lock but not in the fully off position where it got stuck and locked the doors with the other key. Felt strange leaving the key inside the car but it also felt good knowing that it would start! Wow I have not done this kind of thing since my Uni days.

It was worth taking. I picked up a mate and we had a great drive. Whilst walking in to the movie complex I couldn't help but look back at the car amidst a see of other cars and thinking to myself I own the best car in this whole massive car park. This car possesses something that the other cars surrounding it just didn't have - it actually is special. Particularly now when so much car design is just so practical, sensible and efficient.

Thank God for the Italians and their love of beauty, design and passion!

Now I've just got to stop dreaming about my next car - I can picture it so perfectly - a period modified FIAT 850 Coupe with a two litre twin cam, road registered but set up for hill climbing and sprinting. Should sit nicely in the garage with the Alfa.

Come on Santa I've been a good boy!

MD

Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0