Bl00dy rude and inconsiderate!

Started by GeeTeeVee, October 15, 2009, 02:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davidm1600

Ok guys hang on here for a second.  In the first instance, in my opinion and given that I don't know many of you guys, I will speak a little dispassionately. In my mind while GeeTeeVee is perfectly entitled to his opinion, the equal is that so is everyone else.  Its called democracy, but in accepting that this comes with some level of responsibility.  So while it is perfectly fair to provide comment and opinion on someone else's car's value as based on your knowledge of the market place, or from your own experience, it is a bit beyond the pale if people start attacking each other for holding a particular opinion.   

In all fairness while it is perfectly clear that GeeTeeVee has taken issue with the comments that others have made concerning a particular GTV6 for sale and the asking price, I also would respectively suggest that his comments are to an extent out of order.  I too have read the thread he took issue with and didn't see anything particularly wrong with it.   I have seen far worse for instance on the Alfabb, and yet people posting there by in large manage to remain civil.  I would therefore suggest that people need to step back a little from all of this and take stock.

It was interesting that some comments I made in the past on the values of these types of cars was dragged into this thread, as a way of exemplifying a particular point.  While I understand the purpose I suspect to an extent I am a little concerned that my views were used as an example without at least the curtosey of putting them in context.   Not that I actually recall what this was beyond perhaps some discussion on the broad range in values of Alfetta based GTV6s.  I would contend that based on current market values such comments probably still hold true.

The market place in the end from my observation will always dictate the value of a car, rather than the owners beliefs as to what it may be worth.  In addition, market values for some cars will greatly differ not just between countries but and to an extent between different States even here in Australia.  Good luck in the end to a seller if they can get what they hope to.

I also think it is perfectly appropriate that Even as a webmaster has posted some rules around this sort of topic and therefore would tentatively suggest that all of us who contribute to discussions on the forum try to abide by them.   

For the record, while I may not be a current member of AROCA I was a member from 1983 to the early 2000s, (Victoria Club), was and remain a founding member of Club Motori Italia (CMI) here in Tasmania, and remain a true and loyal Alfa owner of some 26 years.  I am well known to a number of the Victorian Alfa club members including your current President.  Please in future can we all try to be civil in these kind of discussions.  Cheers David

Current:
2003 JTS 156 sportwagon
1969 Giulia sedan (x2)
1969 AC Fiat 124 sport

Past: '76 Alfetta 1.8 GT 
        '76 Alfetta 1.8 Sedan
        ' 73 2L Berlina

L4OMEO

Quotehey fellers relax just read all this and it really doesnt affect me or what im selling in the least, as a matter of fact i like reading what people think, im not 15yrs of age anymore and buying selling my 1st car, i have bought/sold so many in the last 30yrs that ive heard all the specialty comments and have recieved advise on how to and what to, but at the end of the day all of us know what our possessions are worth and if we get what we want and the buyer/seller reach agreement then a deal is made simple. this is a forum and it does get interesting i hope it stays that way cheers

Nicely worded Franck  ;)

Generally agree with your post too David, but then I've had a few glasses of vino and am generally agreeing with anything right now  ::)

I have seen other buy/sell posts where the responses were probably over-the-top in the manner Evan describes. In my opinion (no disrespect Evan, I do appreciate your role here) this wasn't one of them. Put these words together in a sentence - storm, tea, cup. Just a shame some restrictions have now had to have been put in place; everybody loses as a result. 

Speaking of cups, I need to fill mine with some more shiraz....
2002 156 GTA

AgeG

Evan fair point you make but whenever someone is trying to sell their car on this site if its not sold within a few weeks then they ask why isnt anyone interested. Therefore feedback is given by people who may not be interested in buying but whom feel that they might add a valid point.

GEETEEVEE........the cars you mention on carsales asking that type of money have been for sale for more than 6 months so i guess that is the market again showing that maybe it isnt priced correctly.

But really everyone is free to ask the money that they want, and in the mean time FRANCK gets to enjoy the car for longer, my advice again KEEP IT!!!
1989 AR 33 1.7ie Red
2005 Citroen C4 Grey
1985 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Silver
2012 Abarth 500C EsseEsse

MD

I am still trying to find terra firma on this site but I dare say some people on the Forum are also having a head scratch from time to time to work out who dfk is this guy.
Well, my bio is not that exotic.
I am an old fart that loves transaxles.
I make lots of personal comments which readers love or hate but always in honesty
I try some comedy ocassionaly to break the technical boredom
I endeavour to be helful with technical contributions where I feel I have some competency
I aim to address the topic and avoid attacking the writer
The partner to direct attacks of the person is flaming which to my dismay goes on a bit on this Forum and is totally needless. It's just a form of bullying. It polarises people and the childish carry on is a sure sign of a lack  of maturiy and a small weiner (I lied about the maturity thing..)
So Evan I commend you for throwing a ferret in the chicken coop just to see if they're awake even if some feathers do fly... I would also support a half dozen or so basic Forum etiquette compliace codes as a condition of using this Forum. It's done elsewhere and your committee should have no problems coming up with common sense list.

As for the car prices, well it can depend on so many factors and it can go logarithmically in relation to its availablity or uniqueness. Average prices will always be just that, average. Recently some 105 ragtops have been selling locally for over $30 grand. A couple of years ago there was a concourse 2litre 105 selling for $40 grand. Buying original cars is one thing but try a baremetal restoration and bring it up to speed with decent imported wheels and modifications so it can take its place with contemporay sports cars on the road, you wouldn't get much change out of $50Grand. So unless you intimately know the car...

and so endeth lecture. :)
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse.

Current Fleet
Alfetta GTV6 3.0
Alfetta GTV Twin Spark supercharged racer
75 1.8L supercharged racer

Past Fleet
Alfa GT 3.2V6
Alfetta GTV 2.0
Giulia Super 2.0
Berlina 2.0

dean

Im only new here, but may i say if one is selling a car one in a public forum one should be prepared for that forum to 'measure' its worth???

I see no issue in an opinion on a sale... this IS a forum, its not Ebay....... i really do thinks its as simple as that. Its our privalage as forum members to participate in topics posted. A post re a sale on this forum is not exclusively an 'add'... by merely appearing on the forum as a topic it lends itself to opinion by default no?

my two cents

Oh and i thought that protest post ' bloody rude and inconsiderate' is overly aggessive self righteous and lacking in appreciation for the what this forum is.

pull your head in gee tee vee